Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SkywardL
SkywardL
Admin
Disrupt Update might Brick your Wii U Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsU1sPgFyQZ_7KDYw9qdsdr6kVPpd5TjIPP9DC9Ur3K3N07ziVjQ
U stands for "Unfunctional" Wait that's not a word, never mind.

There as been reports that when the Day 1 system update halts the process due to power outage, internet disconnection, or impatiently unplug the system might brick the Wii U. These reports are from Wii U owners who found out the hard way.

Bricked Wii U means that the system is inoperable, disc games are no longer playable. What's ironic is that this has nothing to do with the defaulted Automatic Shut-Off feature that some feared before the system released. Also worth noting is that the feature is disable when updating, which I notice the written reminder when updating both the system update and the Nintendo Land software update.

While we wait for Nintendo's response, Here's a list of precautions before updating:

- Plug the Wii U AC Adapter on the wall (electrical outlet) and NOT on the power strip.

- If you live where power outage is common, then have a UPS (from Wii works)

- If internet disconnection is common for you, then update the system in someone else's home.

- Don't do anything internet related and leave the GamePad alone while updating.

Fortunately for me, the update was a success. However, I'm worried that these incidence during updating might have been coincidental. What if power outage or internet disconnection at anytime will also brick the Wii U. Hopefully, that's not the case.

Share this post on:reddit

Comments

KingreX32
November 19th 2012, 11:13 amKingreX32
My internet crapped out during the update. I had to reconnect and it started from where it left off. So I guess I got lucky.
KeAfan7
November 19th 2012, 12:24 pmKeAfan7
Wow my update went smoothly and only took 15 minutes, but then again not many people have 51 MB internet speeds and nobody is immune to a power outage or internet outage. Neutral
Anonymous
November 19th 2012, 12:57 pmGuest
Two friends I know encountered this and their Wii U's bricked, but that's not the only problem. Sad
They said Nintendo customer service is giving them a runaround and being unusually unreasonable. Sad
DigiDestined
November 19th 2012, 1:30 pmDigiDestined
This is insane, preventing piracy is important, but making a console brick if an update is interrupted is just cruel since internet outages occur frequently and many people will have their WiiU bricked over the course of the console's life. Evil or Very Mad
KingreX32
November 19th 2012, 3:23 pmKingreX32
alot of people said the download times was because of nintendos servers being over worked.
RoryLee
November 19th 2012, 7:48 pmRoryLee
Maybe it got bricked because of the Homebrew hack? I'm not saying your friends had Homebrew, but I know alot of Wii owners did have it.
ToughGamer
November 20th 2012, 8:49 amToughGamer
You do realise that there wouldn't be a Wii U Homebrew hack yet? If people use something like that they deserve a brick, but that's not what's going on here.
KokorOtaku
November 20th 2012, 9:38 amKokorOtaku
@Rukia so you have one now?
ToughGamer
November 20th 2012, 11:05 amToughGamer
Why is there no picture in this article?
Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)