Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Your Most Recent Videogame Purchase(s)April 28th 2024, 1:17 pmKokorOtakuWhat Have You Been Playing Lately?April 24th 2024, 3:11 amRyanNerdyGamerNews: Surprise! An Indie World Direct Has Been Announced For Tomorrow April 17th!April 21st 2024, 5:26 pmKokorOtakuHow I’m feeling right now…April 14th 2024, 12:34 amKeAfan7“Doctor wot…?” (The Doctor Who Discussion Thread)April 7th 2024, 3:56 amRyanNerdyGamer
RyanNerdyGamer
RyanNerdyGamer
Admin
Super Poster!
This member has made a splash by posting over 10,000 messages and comments in our community!
Ultra Coinage!
This member has earned a staggering number of WiiWareWave Coins!
Feature: Memorable Aspects of the Pokémon Franchise Part 3 - Legends, Vol. I AVGpokemonlegends_zps27c7c1cd

Previous entries: Part 1 - Trainers | Part 2 - Versions

The Pokémon series contains its fair share of creatures, most of them waiting in tall grass, caves or bodies of water so they can be ready to help the next Trainer to find them. Some Pokémon, however, are so rare that they have become legend, with folklore surrounding them. Many of these Pokémon are collected into categories based on appearance, origin, or some other factor. Let's learn some information about them. As always, be warned that the following article contains spoilers. Let's get to it!

The Legendary Birds: Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres

Feature: Memorable Aspects of the Pokémon Franchise Part 3 - Legends, Vol. I 144Feature: Memorable Aspects of the Pokémon Franchise Part 3 - Legends, Vol. I 145Feature: Memorable Aspects of the Pokémon Franchise Part 3 - Legends, Vol. I 146
Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres. These three birds comprise the very first trio of Legendary Pokémon and thus started an ongoing series tradition. Each one is very difficult to catch, requiring red-zone HP levels, a ridiculous number of Ultra Balls (or a single Master Ball if you're willing to use it up), and near-endless patience. These Pokémon are indeed legendary, with only two of each in existence: one group found in Kanto, the other Sinnoh. Their origin is that of real-world mythical birds: Articuno is based on the roc, Zapdos is based on the thunderbird, and Moltres is based on the phoenix.

The Legendary Beasts: Raikou, Entei and Suicune

Feature: Memorable Aspects of the Pokémon Franchise Part 3 - Legends, Vol. I 243Feature: Memorable Aspects of the Pokémon Franchise Part 3 - Legends, Vol. I 244Feature: Memorable Aspects of the Pokémon Franchise Part 3 - Legends, Vol. I 245
The Legendary trio of the Generation II games, Raikou, Entei and Suicune followed a similar idea to the Legendary Birds of the previous games. This new trio was especially difficult to catch, however: once encountered by the player inside the Burned Tower, the three beasts fled and began to roam around Johto, requiring the player to track each of them down in order to catch them, which was made especially difficult due to the fact that they always fled on their first turn! Using strategies such as putting the Pokémon to sleep or freezing it, using the move Mean Look, or, in the remakes, abilities such as Arena Trap, ensured that the Pokémon couldn't escape. The Legendary Beasts are sometimes called the "Legendary Cats" or "Legendary Dogs" by fans of the series as they seem to embody aspects of several bestial mammals. Their official embodiments are elemental by nature: Raikou is the embodiment of thunder, Entei is born from a volcano, and Suicune is the reincarnation of the North Wind.

The Legendary Golems: Regirock, Regice, Registeel and Regigigas

Feature: Memorable Aspects of the Pokémon Franchise Part 3 - Legends, Vol. I 377Feature: Memorable Aspects of the Pokémon Franchise Part 3 - Legends, Vol. I 378Feature: Memorable Aspects of the Pokémon Franchise Part 3 - Legends, Vol. I 379Feature: Memorable Aspects of the Pokémon Franchise Part 3 - Legends, Vol. I 486
In the Pokémon World's ancient past, some creatures were revered as deities by humans. In the case of the Legendary Golems, they were imprisoned inside ancient ruins. What could these Pokémon have done that led to their being sealed, with the Pokémon Relicanth and Wailord being the key? This trio requires a puzzle to be solved, with Braille being the code. Once the solution is found, three ruins open up throughout Hoenn, containing Regirock, Regice and Registeel. They can later be sent to Sinnoh to help the new Trainer awaken their leader, the immensely-powerful Regigigas.

The Lake Guardians: Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf

Feature: Memorable Aspects of the Pokémon Franchise Part 3 - Legends, Vol. I 480Feature: Memorable Aspects of the Pokémon Franchise Part 3 - Legends, Vol. I 481Feature: Memorable Aspects of the Pokémon Franchise Part 3 - Legends, Vol. I 482
Dotted throughout Sinnoh are three vast lakes, which are said to be where the aspects of humanity came forth unto the world: emotions from Lake Verity, knowledge from Lake Acuity, and willpower from Lake Valor. The source of those aspects is said to be the guardians of those lakes: Mesprit, the Being of Emotion; Uxie, the Being of Knowledge; and Azelf, the Being of Willpower. The gems on their heads are said to contain mystical properties, which Team Galactic used in their plot to awaken Dialga and Palkia and create a new universe in their twisted image.

The Swords of Justice: Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion and Keldeo

Feature: Memorable Aspects of the Pokémon Franchise Part 3 - Legends, Vol. I 638Feature: Memorable Aspects of the Pokémon Franchise Part 3 - Legends, Vol. I 639Feature: Memorable Aspects of the Pokémon Franchise Part 3 - Legends, Vol. I 640Feature: Memorable Aspects of the Pokémon Franchise Part 3 - Legends, Vol. I 647
In ancient Unova, wild Pokémon were threatened by the encroach of humanity. Their protectors were the Swords of Justice: Cobalion, Terrakion and Virizion, the champions of all Pokémonkind. These three Fighting-type Pokémon never show themselves to humans unless they trust them completely, in which case they will assist them for a time. The Swords of Justice are affectionately referred to as the "Musketeer trio" by some fans due to their real world origins, who are characters from the legendary story The Three Musketeers: Cobalion is based on Athos, the leader of the Musketeers; Terrakion is based on Porthos, the portly Musketeer; Virizion is based on Aramis, the effeminate Musketeer; and Keldeo is based on D'Artagnan, the young Musketeer recruit.

Well, that was our first look at the Legendary Pokémon, but don't worry. There will be more information coming. Which Legendary Pokémon or trio is your favourite? Be sure to post your thoughts below!

"See you next time!" victory

Big thanks to PokémonElite2000 for the sprite images!

Last edited by GamerZack7 on May 30th 2013, 10:35 pm; edited 3 times in total

DeviantArt: https://www.deviantart.com/orionjzed
Wattpad: https://www.wattpad.com/user/OrionJZed
YouTube: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCG3iWvffWOZoci2vjsHPjQQ
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

KeAfan7
Weren't Mew, Ho Oh!, Jirachi, and Deoxys considered "legendary" as well? Anyways very nice feature dude, it was an excellent article. Wink
RyanNerdyGamer
Rukiafan wrote:Weren't Mew, Ho Oh!, Jirachi, and Deoxys considered "legendary" as well? Anyways very nice feature dude, it was an excellent article. Wink
Yes, they are Legendary Pokémon as well, but they'll be covered in a later article. Wink

Thank you for the compliment! cheers
Sakura chan
Very nice Zack-tomo. ^^
RyanNerdyGamer
Arigatou Gozaimasu, Sakura-chan! ^,^
RyanNerdyGamer
Nice banner, KingreX! I'm sure Soundwav would approve! Feature: Memorable Aspects of the Pokémon Franchise Part 3 - Legends, Vol. I 631737971

I also added links to previous parts of the series for your convenience, avid readers! Cool
KeAfan7
@GamerZack7 I am looking forward to the next installment of this ongoing series. Wink
RyanNerdyGamer
@Rukiafan: Thank you. Smile
Anonymous
RyanNerdyGamer
Thank you, Kushina! Smile
DigiDestined
This was a wonderful feature. =) When is there going to be a new feature?
KingreX32
you're gonna have to ask gamerzack, did you read all three features? They are very good.
RyanNerdyGamer
DigiDestined wrote:This was a wonderful feature. =) When is there going to be a new feature?
KingreX32 wrote:you're gonna have to ask gamerzack, did you read all three features? They are very good.
@DigiDestined @KingreX32 Thank you for the comments! I'm currently fighting a cold, but I should be able to throw together a neato feature and/or review sometime soon. Wink
KingreX32
dont rush yourself dude
Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)