Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SkywardL
SkywardL
Admin
Personal Gaming: Completing Pokemon Black with just my Starter Pokemon Part 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRL9h2ltWoBYhD5tjg7rykP0vPFRruzkBwKBjpila20Z2tlM8-hzg

Recap from part 1

My first and only trained Pokemon, Oshawott (yes I know that I misspelled my starter Pokemon throughout part 1, shameful), evolved into the final form Samurott. My Pokemon successfully, mostly during rematches, defeated the first four gym leaders in the Unova region. Throughout this personalize challenge, Samurott will be the only Pokemon alongside with me during battles and therefore unable to switch-out from danger. One thing I forgot to mention on the previous article, I won't be using EV Training. If my Samurott is lacking in Sp. Def then so be it.

Now with no interruptions, here's part 2

Personal Gaming: Completing Pokemon Black with just my Starter Pokemon Part 2 185px-Black_White_Clay

In Driftveil City along with my Samurott (Lv. 41), my fifth gym leader battle is with Clay, specializes in Ground-type Pokémon. Clay sent out Krokorok (Lv. 29) as his first Pokemon. In the First turn, Samurott uses the Focus Energy like always while Krokorok uses Bulldoze with little damage on Samurott, instead worrying about the secondary effect of lowering Samurott’s Speed. In the second turn, Krokorok went first this time with Torment, disabling moves for consecutive uses, and then Samurott use the “super effective” Water Pulse and down Krokorok goes. Clay sent out Excadrill (Lv. 31) as his second Pokemon. In the first turn, still with forcefully unimpressive Speed, Excadrill uses Hone Claws to increase Attack and Accuracy while Samurott uses the “not very effective” Slash since the only water attack move is disable for this turn. In the second turn, Excadrill uses Rock Slide which unluckily made Samurott flinch. In the third turn, Excadrill uses Slash, added from the previous attack, lowering Samurott’s HP by half and them Samurott uses Water Pulse and Excadrill goes down. Clay sent out Palpitoad (Lv. 29) as his final Pokemon. Palpitoad uses Aqua Ring, it’s just like obtaining the Leftovers item, and Samurott uses Slash with a perfect critical hit and I obtain the Quake Badge.

During Route 6, I met a trainer with a Frillish and I made a harsh discovery that none of Samurott's move set at this time doesn’t harm Frillish plus it also has the Absorbs Water ability. It's important to find a move that can damage on one specific Pokemon, which sadly all of the TMs aren’t very encouraging, mostly unobtainable for Samurott.

Personal Gaming: Completing Pokemon Black with just my Starter Pokemon Part 2 185px-Black_White_Skyla

In Mistralton City along with my Samurott (Lv. 49), my sixth gym leader battle is with Skyla, specializes in Flying-type Pokémon. Skyla sent out Swoobat (Lv. 29) as her first Pokemon. In the first turn, Samurott uses Focus Energy while Swoobat uses Acrobatics with little damage on Samurott. In the second turn, Samurott uses Water Pulse and already Swoobat went down without a critical hit. Skyla sent out Unfezant (Lv. 33) as her second Pokemon. In the first turn, Samurott uses Water Pulse and Unfezant also went down very quickly. Skyla sent out Swanna (Lv. 35) as her final Pokemon. In the first turn, Samurott uses Slash with a critical hit and then I obtain the Jet Badge, moving on.

Personal Gaming: Completing Pokemon Black with just my Starter Pokemon Part 2 Black_White_Brycen

In Icirrus City along with my Samurott (Lv. 53), my seventh gym leader battle is with Brycen, specializes in Ice-type Pokémon. Brycen sent out Vanillish (Lv. 37) as his first Pokemon. In the first turn, Samurott uses Focus Energy while Vanillish uses the “not very effective” Mirror Shot. In the second turn, Samurott uses Water Pulse with a critical hit and down Vanillish went. Brycen sent out Beartic (Lv. 39) as his second Pokemon. In the first turn, Samurott uses Aqua Tail, almost defeated Beartic, and the Beartic uses Slash. In the second turn, Brycen use Hyper Potion on Beartic and Samurott uses Aqua Tail with the same result as the previous turn. In the third turn, Brycen uses Hyper Potion again and Samurott uses Slash with a critical hit, however it’s no different than using Aqua Tail. In the fourth turn, poor Brycen ran out of Hyper Potions, Samurott uses Slash and down Beartic went. Brycen sent out Cryogonal (Lv. 37) as his final Pokemon. In the first turn, Samurott uses Aqua Tail with a critical hit and then I obtain the Freeze Badge.

Personal Gaming: Completing Pokemon Black with just my Starter Pokemon Part 2 185px-Black_White_Drayden

In Opelucid City along with my Samurott (Lv. 59), my eighth and final gym leader battle is with Drayden, specializes in Dragon-type Pokémon. Drayden sent out Fraxure (Lv. 41) as his first Pokemon. In the first turn, Samurott uses Focus Energy while Fraxure uses Dragon Dance, increases the user’s Attack and Speed. In the second turn, Samurott is still faster than Fraxure and uses Slash, water attacks are inefficient against Dragon-type for some reason, and Fraxure uses Dragon Dance again. In the third turn, Fraxure is finally faster than Samurott and foolishly uses Dragon Dance yet again while Samurott ended this shenanigan by using Slash. Drayden sent out Druddigon (Lv. 41) as his second Pokemon. In the first turn, Samurott uses Slash while Samurott inflict some damage as well thanks to the Rough Skin ability from Druddigon and then Druddigon uses Dragon Claw. In the second turn, Samurott courageously uses Slash again and thanks to the critical hit Samurott doesn’t have to deal with Rough Skin anymore. Drayden sent out Haxorus (Lv. 43) as his final Pokemon. In the first turn, Samurott uses Slash and Haxorus uses Dragon Tail, Samurott still going strong. In the second turn, Samurott uses Slash with a critical hit and I obtain the Legend Badge.

My Pokemon recap (Lv. 63) Hp 217
Attack 168 / Defense 145 / Sp. Atk 147 / Sp. Def 96 / Speed 120 / held item: Scope Lens
Moves: Aqua Tail / Surf / Slash / Focus Energy

Personal Gaming: Completing Pokemon Black with just my Starter Pokemon Part 2 150px-Black_White_Shauntal

Now entering the Pokemon League and decided to choose the far left arena, going up against Shauntal who is a Master Ghost-type Trainer. Shauntal sent out Cofagrigus (Lv. 48) as her first Pokemon. In the first turn, Samurott uses Focus Energy and Cofagrigus uses Shadow Ball with a critical hit, lowering Samurott’s Hp by half along with the secondary effect of decreasing Sp. Def. In the second turn, Samurott uses Aqua Tail without the knowledge of Cofagrigus’s Mummy ability, disabling the true potential of Samurott’s Water attacks, and Cofagrigus uses Shadow Ball, now doing serious damage. In the third turn, I use Hyper Potion on Samurott and then Cofagrigus uses Psychic, which lowers Samurott’s Sp. Def again. In the fourth turn, Samurott uses Surf and it’s all over for Cofagrigus. Shauntal sent out Jellicent (Lv. 48) as her second Pokemon. In the first turn, Samurott uses Aqua Tail with a critical hit (thank the Dialga for Jellicent not obtaining the Water Absorb ability, however, has a less but equally annoying ability known as Cursed Body which disables Samurott’s Aqua Tail for multiple turns) and Jellicent uses the “super effective” Energy Ball. In the second turn, I use Hyper Potion and Shauntal uses Full Restore on Jellicent. In the third turn, Samurott uses Surf with little satisfaction and Jellicent uses another dreaded Energy Ball. In the fourth turn as still waiting to use Aqua Tail, Samurott uses Surf with a critical hit, sadly that wasn’t enough and down my Samurott went.

Personal Gaming: Completing Pokemon Black with just my Starter Pokemon Part 2 200px-Black_White_Marshal

Entering the Pokemon League again, choosing the far right arena this time against Marshal who is a Master Fighting-type Trainer. Marshal sent out Throh (Lv. 48) as his first Pokemon. In the first turn, Samurott uses Focus Energy and Throh uses Stone Edge with little damage for Samurott. In the second turn, Samurott uses Aqua Tail with a critical hit and down Throh goes. Marshal sent out Sawk (Lv. 48) as his second Pokemon. In the first turn, Samurott uses Surf with a critical hit; however, Sawk has the Sturdy ability and non-spiritually uses Stone Edge. In the second turn, Marshal use Full Restore on Sawk and Samurott uses Surf without a critical hit. In the third turn, Marshal use Full Restore again and Samurott uses Slash. In the fourth turn, Sawk finally went down from Samurott’s Slash. Marshal sent out Conkeldurr (Lv. 48) as his third Pokemon. In the first turn, Samurott uses Aqua Tail with a critical hit and down Conkeldurr went. Marshal sent out Mienshao (Lv. 50) as his final Pokemon. In the first turn, Samurott uses Slash with a critical hit (Samurott now at Lv. 64) and I unlock a teleporter back to the Pokemon League hub.

Personal Gaming: Completing Pokemon Black with just my Starter Pokemon Part 2 270px-Black_White_Caitlin

Next up is Caitlin, left side from Marshal’s arena, who is a Master Psychic-type Trainer. Caitlin sent out Reuniclus (Lv. 48) as her first Pokemon. In the first turn, Samurott uses Focus Energy and Reuniclus uses the “super effective” Thunder and also paralyzes Samurott. In the second turn, I didn’t use Full Restore (what was I thinking) but fear not as Samurott luckily avoided Thunder however Samurott wasn’t able to attack. In the thirs turn, I now use Full Restore on Samurott while avoiding another Thunder. In the fourth turn, Samurott uses Aqua Tail while avoiding Thunder yet again (I trained him well). In the fifth turn, Samurott uses Surf and down went Reuniclus. Caitlin sent out Gothitelle (Lv. 50) as her second Pokemon. In the first round, Samurott uses Slash with a critical hit and Gothitelle uses Calm Mind, increases the user’s Sp. Atk and Sp. Def. In the second turn, Samurott uses Slash and down went Gothitelle. Caitlin sent out Musharna (Lv. 48) as her third Pokemon. In the first turn, Samurott uses Aqua Tail and Musharna uses Psychic. In the second turn, Samurott uses Surf and down went Musharna. Caitlin sent out Sigilyph (Lv. 48) as her last Pokemon. In the first turn, Samurott uses Slash with a critical hit and Sigilyph uses Psychic. In the second turn, Caitlin use Full Restore on Sigilyph and Samurott uses Slash with another successful critical hit. In the third turn, Caitlin uses Full Restore again and Samurott uses Surf without critical hit yet same result. In the forth turn, Samurott uses Slash and I unlock a teleporter back to the Pokemon League hub.

Personal Gaming: Completing Pokemon Black with just my Starter Pokemon Part 2 150px-Black_White_Grimsley

Next up is Grimsley, left side from Caitlin’s arena, who is a Master Dark-type Trainer. Grimsley sent out Scrafty (Lv. 48) as his first Pokemon. In the first turn, SAmurott uses Focus Energy while Scrafty uses Crunch with little damage for Samurott. In the second turn, Samurott uses Surf and Scrafty uses Crunch again adding a secondary effect of lowering Samurott’s Defense. In the third turn, Samurott uses Surf and down went Scrafty. Grimsley sent out Krookodile (Lv. 48) as his second Pokemon and immediately lowers Samurott’s Attack because of the Intimidate ability from Krookodile. In the first turn, Samurott uses Surf, it’s super effective and down went Krookodile (Samurott now at Lv. 65). Grimsley sent out Bisharp (Lv. 50) as his third Pokemon. In the first turn, Samurott uses Surf and Bisharp uses Night Slash. In the second turn, Grimsley use Full Restore on Bisharp and Samurott uses Surf. In the third turn, Grimsley use Full Restore while Samurott uses Surf with a critical hit and down went Bisharp. Grimsley sent out Liepard (Lv. 48) as his last Pokemon, In the first turn, Liepard uses Fake Out and there goes Samurott’s turn. In the second turn, I use Hyper Potion for Samurott just to be safe while Liepard uses Night Slash. In the third turn, Samurott use Slash and Liepard uses Night Slash. In the fourth turn, Samurott uses Slash with a critical hit and I unlock a teleporter back to the Pokemon League hub.

Last up is my revenge against Shauntal, left side from Grimsley’s arena, after I given Samurott a Rare Candy (Lv. 66). Shauntal sent out Cofagrigus (Lv. 48) as her first Pokemon. In the first turn, Samurott uses Focus Energy while Cofagrigus uses Will-O-Wisp, which causes a burn on Samurott. In the second turn, Samurott uses Surf (remembering the Mummy ability incident) and Cofagrigus uses Shadow Ball without a secondary effect like last time. In the third turn, Shauntal use Full Restore on Cofagrigus while Samurott uses Surf with a critical hit and down went Cofagrigus. Shauntal sent out Jellicent (Lv. 48) as her second Pokemon. In the first turn, Samurott uses Surf (didn’t activate the Curse Body ability from Jellicent) and Jellicent uses Shadow Ball. In the second turn, I use Full Restore on Samurott while Jellicent uses Shadow Ball. In the third turn, Samurott uses Aqua Tail (of course the Curse Body ability is now active) and Jellicent uses Energy Ball, super effective yet hardly deadly. In the fourth turn, I just realized I forgot to stack up Elixirs and Samurott just ran out of Surf. Embarrassingly skipping to the seventh turn, Samurott finally uses Aqua Tail and down went Jellicent. Shauntal sent out Golurk (Lv. 48) as her third Pokemon. In the first turn, I uses Full Restore on Samurott and Golurk uses Earthquake. In the second turn, Samurott uses Aqua Tail, super effective plus critical hit equals Golurk go bye-bye. Shauntal sent out Chandelure (Lv. 50) as her last Pokemon. In the first turn, Samurott uses Aqua Tail, super effective and I unlock a teleporter back to the Pokemon League hub.

Personal Gaming: Completing Pokemon Black with just my Starter Pokemon Part 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTZcyRj_AIXl0a4TY2_Ojkn9tYO-QlIG2TohZVo4EPLg2PZydflw

Huh? What’s this? I have to, involuntarily, capture Reshiram and my Samurott is no longer a lone wolf during the final two main Pokemon battle?

Well, technically, my first Personal Gaming run was a complete success. Therefore, what did you all think of it? Does this article remind you of the announcer from Pokemon Stadium? Leave your welcoming thoughts on the comment section below.

Share this post on:reddit

Comments

Marth
Another good read, L. I preferred reading this to part 1, if only because of the intensity involved in fighting the Elite Four with just one Pokemon.

I must say though, it's a bit anticlimactic since the game FORCES you to capture Reshiram/Zekrom. Razz It would have been nice to see you beat Ghetsis and N with just Samurott. My brother struggled to beat those two with a full team.
Amufungal
Nice feature SkywardL I really enjoyed it Smile
SkywardL
I appreciate the positive feedback Smile

I have some ideas for my next Personal Gaming feature, so there's more to come.
Marth
By the way, will you be doing a similar run through the game with Black2/White2 when they come out? Surprised Hopefully those don't force you to catch a legend in the same way.
SkywardL
Yoshi wrote:By the way, will you be doing a similar run through the game with Black2/White2 when they come out? Surprised Hopefully those don't force you to catch a legend in the same way.

Not during my first playthrough and I absolutely agree on your hopefulness.
Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)