Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Jnes5
Jnes5
A comet crashes to the Earth, raining down a strange green dust in its wake. The space dust is harmless to humans and goes unnoticed, but they failed to notice that flora, fauna and fungi including mushrooms, cacti, and kudzu gained sentience, and in order to survive, the newly conscious mushroom people soon formed into tribes, and war inevitably followed. Pax, a lone bolete mushroom who is trying to find his place in mushroom society, discovers a lepiota named Pester who plans to take over the world and now must stop him before it is too late.

Story
The story has this little depth behind it that doesn't make this game seem bland, but the whole overall execution of how it is being told leaves it with some interest since the game mostly focuses more on the gameplay aspect, as for the story itself, it's decent.

Gameplay
The game plays like a 3D platformer, your character pax can glide through the air, built weapons and can use a power called the "sporekinesis" as well as other abilities, you can use the power by just pointing the wii remote and then pointing it at only the objects that has a spore marking on them, so that then you can make a gesture to throw the object, but there are also other switches in which you can activate with the sporekinesis by pushing or moving them by moving the cursor to the designated area. And as for building weapons, you must collect a lot of certain items in order to convert them into said weapon, and by each time, you get to build a stronger weapon, and there are four types of weapons: slashing, bashing, thrusting, and radical. Even though there is not much of a difference between these, they do have some strenghts and they are useful, they're even of some importance in one level where you must eat him by having a certain weapon.

Even though the game sounds has an interesting concept, the game was not executed very well, since there are some problems residing in it wich makes the game tedious and frustrating, like for example: most of the game pretty much focuses on collecting items, and it can be a chore to do since some levels, while they are not very big, they are very complex and it is an obligation to backtrack almost the whole level, it can get very frustrating and boring for the most part, and it's also worse considering that the camera is not very helpfull if you want to throw an object while using sporekinesis or if you're in a very close area and it is also extremly sensitive to control ! and speaking of the controls, you can only attack by shaking the wii remote, while it is not very bad at some extent, it does become very redundant... and not to mention that there's a guard button in which, in my experience, is not very useful...

So the gameplay could've been a lot more better if it was polished well, but aside from that, the game is designed very well and the whole enviroment feels very atmospheric to the point in which it does feel like you're playing a tiny creature in a big world.

Graphics
Im not going to lie, but the graphics feel a little dated, to the point in which the game looks like it came out during the very first release of the PS2, however it doesn't look too bad and the work very well and they are somewhat detailed for the most part, but another thing I want to mention is that the game has this weird dark tone behind it, since the game for the most part takes place at night or at a closed space, yes there are a few levels where it's daylight, but even those levels look kind of dark as well ! and another thing that I want to mention is that the game also has this gross enviroment as well where there are some disgusting things in the level, it is not very effective, but they do look kind of nasty to watch...

Music and sound
While there are a few tunes that are catchy and a few that sound cool, the whole soundtrack is not very memorable but at least they sound very decent, however one thing I want to metion is that few of the songs were composed by someone named Les Claypool of "Primus" fame, which to be honest... I don't know who that is...

As for the sounds, they are okay, they're pretty simple and they get the job done, as for the voice acting... there isn't any, there are just grumbles when the characters speak, in which the text can also appear in other languages depending on what language do you speak.

Presentation
The game is kind of short if you play games in one sitting but there are a lot replay value in the game included so that it won't be too short, for example: as I've said, most of the game focuses on collecting items, be it weapon parts, collectibles and meteor chunks, which they are spread throughout the entire levels and if you colect all of the meteor chunks, you will receive infinite ammo, and there's also a gallery menu where you can check out the soundtrack, some concept art in which you must unlock first by collecting them in the game, and there are also 5 minigames included ! but all of them range from decent to mediocre.

Overall
Yeah, Im pretty mixed with this game, while the game is designed very well when talking about the enviroments and the desing, the gameplay however is pretty mediocre, and as for the other stuff you can do in the game, they don't really give me some sort of comfortability to keep playing it more, so if you're interested in this game, then give it a rent if you can, and if you don't then don't bother since you're not missing much, so overall this game gets...

a 6/10

6- Decent This game has flaws or major flaws such as, poor controls, bad gameplay elements, poorly implemented gimmicks, minor sound or graphics issues etc. But can be fun, but not necessarily as fun as you'd hope.

Review: Mushroom Men: The Spore Wars (Wii Retail) 12895-225x320

Review: Mushroom Men: The Spore Wars (Wii Retail) 3401119005_b350676888

Review: Mushroom Men: The Spore Wars (Wii Retail) Mushroom_Men_Spore_Wars-s3

Review: Mushroom Men: The Spore Wars (Wii Retail) Screenshot_wii_mushroom_men_the_spore_wars039

Last edited by Jnes5 on February 9th 2012, 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Also on PSN ! PSN: jnesDX
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

Killeryoshii
August 15th 2011, 5:37 pmKilleryoshii
This game is alright,but has far too many flaws to really be anything more then a game to pass some time...
Still good review Jnes5 Very Happy
Anonymous
Good review! but not so good of a game...
Anonymous
I think this is a fairly fun game but it does get old fast Neutral
captainamerica
August 15th 2011, 9:02 pmcaptainamerica
Good review Jnes5 Exclamation
Marioman18
August 15th 2011, 11:22 pmMarioman18
I didn't like this all that much but your review on the otherhand is fantastical Very Happy
Krazyredd
August 15th 2011, 11:40 pmKrazyredd
It was alright unlike your review which I give a 10/10 Very Happy
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)