Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Your Most Recent Videogame Purchase(s)April 28th 2024, 1:17 pmKokorOtakuWhat Have You Been Playing Lately?April 24th 2024, 3:11 amRyanNerdyGamerNews: Surprise! An Indie World Direct Has Been Announced For Tomorrow April 17th!April 21st 2024, 5:26 pmKokorOtakuHow I’m feeling right now…April 14th 2024, 12:34 amKeAfan7“Doctor wot…?” (The Doctor Who Discussion Thread)April 7th 2024, 3:56 amRyanNerdyGamer
KeAfan7
KeAfan7
Admin
Super Poster!
This member has made a splash by posting over 10,000 messages and comments in our community!
Mega Coinage!
This kind user has earned over 50,000 Coins! Happy posting!
A New Enemy Appears!

photo 731727ce-f32d-45c4-b1e6-93086fe6bafc_zpsef5c5f6c.jpg

Metroid Fusion is a direct sequel to Super Metroid and was the last game in the long-running Metroid series to use the tried and true gameplay formula that was around since the start of the series. Metroid started off good on the NES and its second entry on the original Gameboy was just as good, however it wasn't until Super Metroid was released for the SNES that the series became one of Nintendo's hard-hitting franchises, but how does Metroid Fusion compare to Super Metroid? Keep reading our review to find out!

photo d0cda6d8-35ae-4047-8226-adede8665c11_zps1a8da788.jpg

Story:

In Metroid Fusion Samus gives the last surviving Metroid as well as other wildlife from the worlds she had visited to a special space colony, but soon she finds herself with a nasty mutative virus that has fused her with her armor and transformed the biological life on the colony as well. She must regain her suit's power that was stolen by the virus and defeat the source of the virus in order to prevent an intergalactic outbreak!

All of this is just in the first five minutes of the game. There are some twists and turns later in the story, but overall it's fairly predictable. The story usually takes a back-seat to the gameplay, but what's there is a quite polished and enjoyable story.

photo 93ebf578-e9b8-46c0-8310-15e8b6ecc845_zps21e7491b.jpg

Gameplay And Controls:

The gameplay in Metroid Fusion is fairly linear when compared to Super Metroid which some people might find off-putting, but the game is quite lengthy and the action is as enjoyable as you'd expect from a Metroid title! You start off with no upgrades as usually is the case in a Metroid game, but there's a twist this time around! Instead of finding most upgrades laying around you must fight bosses to recover most of the most important power-ups and upgrades in the game.

The locked doors also require to be opened by switches rather than being blasted by missiles or other power suit items. The gameplay itself though is the same as ever and with plenty of exploration and action you'll rarely feel bored with the game! The bosses are quite difficult this time around so you should expect to be challenged especially late in the game.

The controls are fairly smooth and work quite well, however it can be tricky to aim diagonal shots downward due to the way the game is designed, but overall the controls are pretty good. I would suggest using a Wii Classic Controller Pro or a Wii U Pro Controller for the best responsiveness!

photo 2b830ae4-a916-4ca4-8c63-6b2d12735321_zpse3b11001.jpg

Graphics And Sounds:

The backgrounds and character models are quite impressive when compared to Super Metroid when pixel perfect mode and pixel smoothing is enabled in the VC options for the game, but even without the resolution fix and smoothing the game looks fairly nice for a GBA title. There aren't too many areas in the game with large clunky pixels and the issue is virtually non existent when the smoothing option is turned on, the game is very colorful and much more pleasant to the eyes than the rather dark and drab Super Metroid which is a very good thing. The special effects are also quite flashy and impressive and the varied backgrounds of each of the eight zones look incredibly nice for a game of Metroid Fusion's age!

photo 283ef262-09bc-4c7b-af07-012731ec67f3_zps95059d71.jpg

The sound is very good for a GBA game, but it still suffers from the handheld's original audio limitations. The music for instance is better than Super Metroid's, but the sound quality holds it back. Overall the the audio in the game is quite impressive!

Bottom-Line:
 photo MF_GBAReviewOverviewWiiUVC_zpsbd368750.png

Review: Metroid Fusion (Wii U VC) 19654

Review: Metroid Fusion (Wii U VC) 87457210

Review: Metroid Fusion (Wii U VC) Bleach10

Bleach Thousand Year Blood War is upon us! W00t!
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

KeAfan7
May 4th 2014, 2:37 pmKeAfan7
Sorry for the delay, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD review is up next! Wink
Amufungal
May 5th 2014, 3:26 pmAmufungal
Nice review Rukiafan Smile
Tech101
May 5th 2014, 6:11 pmTech101
Couldn't agree with the score more. Now I'm going off the original though as I have this already on 3ds. Other then the pixel smoothing I don't see a need to get this again.

This just makes me long for another 2d version of the series on my 3ds. Just think how good it could be. Fingers crossed for a Metroid surprise announcement at E3!

Although I'd prefer a new Prime style I'll just take anything at this point.
FuManchu
May 6th 2014, 11:44 amFuManchu
You made several valid points about the game and I agree with all of them. This could have been the best Metroid game if not for the limitations of the hardware it was released on. Good review boss man!
Trinity33
May 7th 2014, 12:19 pmTrinity33
Great review. I need to download this once I beat some of my other vc games.
RWBY_Red
May 7th 2014, 12:30 pmRWBY_Red
Yet another game that I'll need to download sometime.
Anonymous
May 10th 2014, 11:41 amGuest
Beautiful review as always Rukiafan! I love you
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)