Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gamergy
Gamergy
A Link to Greatness

Review: The Legend of Zelda ~ A Link Between Worlds (3DS Retail) 711412_314302_front

Shortly after the release of the 3DS, Zelda fans have asked for a remake of the SNES classic The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the past. Nintendo listened, but decided to go a step further and make a sequel titled The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. The game finally came out a short time ago, and like any Zelda game, Nintendo does not disappoint.

First off, you do not need to have played A Link to the Past in order to enjoy A Link Between Worlds. Long-time Zelda fans will recognize that A Link Between Worlds is set in the same world as A Link to the Past.

Story Spoilers:

What would a Zelda game be without some awesome items? In A Link Between Worlds you will see some items known well from other Zelda games like the Hookshot, along with some reacurring items from A Link to the Past such as the hammer. Every item is needed for at least one dungeon, but it would be smart to keep some other items on hand as you might need them for a later dungeon. You may also need an item to get to specific areas that are otherwise blocked off, usually leading to a piece of heart or a silver rupee.

Review: The Legend of Zelda ~ A Link Between Worlds (3DS Retail) Legend-of-Zelda-Link-Between-Worlds-16

A Link Between Worlds does two things very different from the other Zelda games, how you obtain items and how you go through dungeons. First, Link can rent out items instead of finding them in a dungeon. A guy named Ravio decides to occupy your house and use it to rent out equipment for you. However if you die you have to rent them out again. Later in the game you can buy the items and you will no longer have to pay every time you die. Whether you find it nice or want to beat Ravio until he runs out of your house, he’s there and you can’t change it. You’ll run across many rupees on your adventure, so affording the items won’t be a problem.

The second new feature is that now you can go through the dungeons in almost any order. The only thing keeping you from going literally though any dungeon in order is that you have to complete the first three before you can go to the other six. This feature is incredibly helpful, if you get stuck or annoyed by a certain dungeon, simply go to another one and come back to it later. I could have easily used this feature for every other Zelda game I’ve played

These two new features are wonderful inclusions, they are great and are definitely helpful for newbies to Zelda, but I still find the Link painting method to be the creative driving force behind what makes this Zelda stand out from the others. You’ve probably already seen it in gameplay videos, but you can merge with the walls of Hyrule. This is obtained early in the game with Ravio’s bracelet. This is used cleverly with the dungeons, and you must think at all times “would using the painting power help here?” Not only in the dungeons, but also in the overworld you can use the painting power to find pieces of heart and find little Maiamai’s, which you can collect to upgrade your items after returning them to their mother.

Review: The Legend of Zelda ~ A Link Between Worlds (3DS Retail) Zelda_link_thumb

I found it interesting that Nintendo ditched arrows and bombs as supplies, and switched them with a stamina meter. Personally, I really liked it, now you don’t have to search for pesky arrows and bombs, just wait a few seconds and your stamina gauge replenishes! I’m not sure if I would want this in Zelda Wii U, but it worked for A Link Between Worlds. It also takes away stamina slowly while you use the painting power, so move fast!

So the game sounds great, but how’s the difficulty? I honestly found it to be a little too easy, I died only twice, once for not paying attention to my heart meter in the overworld, and the other was at a boss. I felt some bosses were challenging, but some were a “wait, that’s it?” kind of battle. When I first played A Link to the Past I found the bosses to be much harder than the ones in A Link Between Worlds, but the final boss was refreshingly tough, as I had to use two blue potions and ended the battle with 3 hearts left.

I can’t find much to complain about A Link Between Worlds; in fact I would say it’s one of the better handheld Zeldas out there. I loved the music, the graphics are pretty good for the 3DS, and the game isn’t short. You could say some bosses were much harder than others, but the beauty of this game is that if you get stuck at a boss, beat another dungeon instead and come back to the first one later. I wouldn’t mind having this feature in Zelda Wii U, but I have a feeling that isn’t going to happen.

So what else can I say? It’s Zelda, and it’s one of the better handheld Zeldas out there. If you don’t have this game now, go out and buy it! It took me almost 15 hours to beat the main game on my first go, but I didn’t collect everything, which would add a few more hours to the game. What are you waiting for? Go to the store and buy one of the finest 3DS titles out there right now.

Pros: great music, cool items, any order dungeons

Cons: Bosses are a little unbalanced in difficulty

Final Rating: 10/10
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

Trinity33
This is the best handheld Zelda game that I have played so yeah I agree with your score! Great first review I can't wait to read your next one!
Aqua Cherry Blossom
Nice review @Gamergy it was a pleasure to read and I look forward to your future reviews lol. Smile
Staroceancrazy
Awesome review! Very Happy
I liked this game, but some of the bosses drove me crazy trying to beat them Prinny
KeAfan7
Great review dude! Thanks for helping us out by posting this amzing review. Wink
Amufungal
I can't remember the last time I had so much fun playing a handheld Zelda game!
I love this game Smile
ToughGamer
Good review, I need to get this game.
KokorOtaku
Great review, I'm almost done with it myself, I hope to fully complete it on hero mode when I get finished on normal mode
ShanaNoShakugan
This such nice review I like game too! Smile
Gamergy
Thanks for the feedback everyone! Glad to hear such positive comments! I think hero mode brings the "Nintendo hard" to the game, something for veteran Zelda players.
Anonymous
Beautiful review Gamergy I really love the story and music in the game! I love you
RWBY_Red
Nice review.
Clαππαd
Nice review Gamergy! Smile
This is one of my favorite Zelda games of all-time. Smile
Golden_Toad
Awesome review! This game is suh-weet! Very Happy
Sakura chan
Lovely review Gamergy chan! Smile
RyanNerdyGamer
I've been playing this for the past week, and I absolutely agree with the score. It's exceeded my expectations and definitely deserves 10/10! Very Happy
Kenshin A-Go-Go
This is by far the best Zelda game in years! It has that retro feel while continuing to stay fresh with new ideas and features. Cool
RyanNerdyGamer
I know, right? I was expecting it to be like a polished version of LttP, but it feels so fresh and innovative while capturing that old-school nostalgia which makes the original such a classic! Smile
FM_Alchemist
Great review! Unfortunately I can't find a copy of this game where I live so I'll have to order a copy online.
KIBAxHINATA
This game is incredible no doubt about it. And bif nice review. victory
GhastlyRockets
GamerZack7 wrote:I know, right? I was expecting it to be like a polished version of LttP, but it feels so fresh and innovative while capturing that old-school nostalgia which makes the original such a classic! Smile
Same here, but the game adds so much to the tried and true 2D Zelda formula that it feels completely different from ALTTP.
Sonic The Hodgepodge
January 23rd 2014, 2:47 pmSonic The Hodgepodge
This is the best 2D Zelda game of all-time! Sweet review Gamergy. Cool
Link_i_am
Albw is just an amazing game! Very Happy
Kung-fu Pikachu
Link_i_am wrote:Albw is just an amazing game! Very Happy
Yes it is!
DigiDestined
Nice review! =)
SonicKnuckles
Great review I agree with every pro and con listed.
Talesfanatic
Awesome review!
Megatron2000
I like the freedom the game allows. What are you reviewing next? Megatron Happy
Ragnarok
Dang you're a good reviewer! I was somewhat disappointed by the game because of the balance issues but even so it was one of the best games last year.
OddyWorld
This is just my opinion, but the story wasn't very good compared to Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. The gameplay on the other hand is superb! Cool
RyanNerdyGamer
I finished this on Tuesday morning. On the whole, one of the best 2D Zelda experiences by far! Very Happy

Just for the record, Ocarina of Time is still my favourite Zelda game, which makes it my favourite 3D Zelda adventure by default. Wink
KokorOtaku
Congrats Zed, I still need to beat it myself I'm on the 5th dungeon in lorule and on "wimp" mode to Sad its a fun game for sure but haven't play a ton, due to having too many to beat in the first place
RyanNerdyGamer
Thanks, Otaku! Very Happy
KeAfan7
GamerZack7 wrote:I finished this on Tuesday morning. On the whole, one of the best 2D Zelda experiences by far! Very Happy

Just for the record, Ocarina of Time is still my favourite Zelda game, which makes it my favourite 3D Zelda adventure by default. Wink
I can't wait to play this game! Wink
RyanNerdyGamer
You won't be disappointed, Fan of Rukia. Review: The Legend of Zelda ~ A Link Between Worlds (3DS Retail) 631737971
KokorOtaku
Just so you know I don't really think normal as wimp mode, just I prefer to play on the hardest setting first (probably going to drive me to insanity, but oh well) like FEAs Lunitic mode (even though I'm only on chapter 1 currently) but I have played on normal so I could unlock the free DLC before it expired (almost a year ago...)
Gamergy
Megatron2000 wrote:I like the freedom the game allows. What are you reviewing next? Megatron Happy

My "The Wonderful 101" review just went live! Not sure what I will do next though

OddyWorld wrote:This is just my opinion, but the story wasn't very good compared to Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. The gameplay on the other hand is superb! Cool

I agree the story for ALBW wasn't great, but yes the gameplay is superb and makes the story not matter as much.

Ragnarok wrote:Dang you're a good reviewer! I was somewhat disappointed by the game because of the balance issues but even so it was one of the best games last year.

Thanks! The game feels a little off-balance when it comes to bosses, but still a great game.
SuperVash
How much fanservice does this game have? Is it too similar to TLoZ:ALTTP?
RyanNerdyGamer
It is reminiscent of A Link to the Past, yet at the same time it feels fresh and original. It's the perfect blend of nostalgia and novelty. Wink
Akatsuki
You know how to write very nice reviews! I agree with everything you said in the review too. Smile
ToughGamer
I liked the change from the traditional Zelda gameplay.
Kain
To quote reggie "if you haven't picked it up yet, what's wrong with you!" This game is a must for every 3DS owner.
Aussiegamer
Nice review mate! :-D
KeAfan7
@Gamergy most of the images are broken...Neutral
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)