Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SkywardL
SkywardL
Admin
ATV Wild Ride 3D review ATV_Title
© 2011, 2012, 2013 Renegade Kid

Available Now in North America on the Nintendo 3DS eShop!
Price Tag: $7.99
Download Size: 421 Blocks

ATV Wild Ride 3D is the latest Nintendo 3DS downloadable title from Renegade Kid. It’s a visual upgrade to their Nintendo DS retail release of the same name, minus the 3D. This title is pure arcade racer, removing the power drifts and floating items. ATV Wild Ride 3D is a similar experience to Excitebots: Trick Racing in terms of the important of performing tricks in order to get to first place.

There are several modes to choose from right from the start. Single Player includes World Tour, Quick Race, Freestyle, and Time Trail. World Tour is Grand Prix with six Tours made out of four tracks each. Getting first place in a race gives you the maximum points (10 Pts) and to get the gold trophy you need to have the most points than the 3 CPU riders at the end of the Tour. Fortunately, first place doesn’t always mean reaching the finish line first as there are Freestyle races require you to perform as many tricks as possible before the timer runs out. Taking the Freestyle races less seriously and performing the wildest jumps possible. While the single campaign is short, World Tour also shows your results, the top screen when selecting a Tour, on every race whether you want to achieve on collecting the 240 Points mark to unlock the final vehicle.

ATV Wild Ride 3D review ATV3D_THAILAND_3DS_vs_DS
The before (bottom) and after (top) picture

The gameplay is easy to pick up and yet features complex controls when mastering tricks. Listing in Type 1 controls, Hold the A button to accelerate, B button to reverse, and use the Circle Pad to steer. Now for the tricks, there are 3 types. Press the L button while holding any one of the eight directions on the Circle Pad to perform a Quick (low air) Trick. Press the R button instead of L will perform a Medium Trick and Pressing both L and R button will perform a Long Trick. Changing to Type 2 controls from the Option menu simplified the Trick controls mapping on the face buttons and totally does change the feel of the experience if you prefer. To get more air time, Pre-Load Jumps, press down on the Circle Pad before the ascend on any ramp size ramp and then press up during the ascend. Successfully perform a trick earns you Nitro; press X button to use a bar, the Long Trick rewards you with two Nitro boosts. However, performing the same tricks on the same lap won’t earn you Nitro, such as already perform the “Look Mom 3 O’ Clock” (press R button while holding right) before completing a lap. Don't worry, your rider's vocal reaction determines whether the trick is repeated or not. These conditions add pressure to the later Tour difficulty when dealing with remindful controls on every jump. A predicament when racing in longer track designs.

The Track designs themselves also needs a reminder despite having only a few regional locales. Some jumps, also referring to Pre-Load Jumps, just can’t drive straight at before take off because of the turn up ahead. Turning your vehicle to much before the jump will have you facing in the opposite direction and your vehicle can even be stuck in the Mudd, I mean mud, when sliding sideways during a landing. It’s very satisfying when performing a Pre-Load Jump, facing the turn, and successfully perform a Long Trick without slowing down after the land. Online matches will definitely put your skills to the test. I was fortunate enough to try out Internet Play with JOOLS WATSHAM, co-founder of Renegade Kid and thank him for the diabolical track designs, and others in 4 player and the gameplay runs smoothly, competing for overall online rankings. The only downside playing Online is that it doesn't feature Freestyles races.

The soundtrack is a guilty pressure. It features a punk rock band, Swift Justice and the Hired Goons, with surreal lyrics that surprisingly fits well to the game. I did notice some graphical hiccups in the background, those clouds look like they’re dancing. I do wish that the textures on the vehicles stood out more, as there are later vehicles paint jobs that are wicked, a reason to have the Trick Cam on during a Long Trick. The stereoscopic 3D really helps the depth during the races.

While not the prettiest racer on the Nintendo 3DS, ATV Wild Ride 3D is definitely a wild ride.

7.5 / 10 eShop Points

Last edited by SkywardL on March 7th 2013, 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Share this post on:reddit

Comments

KeAfan7
March 6th 2013, 4:18 pmKeAfan7
This is much better than I was expecting! Nice work. Wink
Staroceancrazy
March 6th 2013, 5:19 pmStaroceancrazy
Awesome review! Very Happy
KingreX32
March 6th 2013, 6:46 pmKingreX32
Nice review, Im hoping Renegade Kid make another Dementium though. Those games were great.
SkywardL
March 7th 2013, 10:21 amSkywardL
Europe release will be in Q2 2013 base on Jool's latest tweet.
Ragnarok
March 7th 2013, 1:30 pmRagnarok
Hmm sounds better than I thought it would. I might have to download this game.
NINTENBRO
March 18th 2013, 2:16 amNINTENBRO
I'm stuck on tour three in World Tour, with 81 of the 84 points needed to proceed onto tour four. Sad

Ragnarok, you should download this game, so we can race against each other. Very Happy My 3DS FC is located in my signature & profile.
Tech101
March 18th 2013, 5:58 amTech101
Ok wait. So does this game look better then that lousy eshop video that makes it look like a bad N64 game? If so I might give it a download and check it out for myself as its been a while since I've played a racing game as its one of my favorite genres.
KeAfan7
March 18th 2013, 10:34 amKeAfan7
It's as good as Wave Race 64 imo, which I would give a 7-7.5/10 which is still a fun game. Wink
Tech101
March 18th 2013, 10:44 amTech101
Rukiafan wrote:It's as good as Wave Race 64 imo, which I would give a 7-7.5/10 which is still a fun game. Wink
. Well Wave Race 64 is one of my all time favorites so I might just yet give this a spin. Thank you!
NINTENBRO
March 18th 2013, 11:35 amNINTENBRO
I agree with Rukiafan's score of 7 out of 10. It doesn't have the best graphics in the world, but they're acceptable for this type of (eight dollar) game. The 3D effects compensate a lot for the grainy textures, though. The game is at least as fun to play as Wave Race 64, but Wave Race doesn't have online multiplayer. The visual style and music reminds me of Dirt 2 for the Nintendo DS. Not sure if any of you actually played that game, but... Anyways, ATV Wild Ride has much, much more smooth and responsive controls than Dirt 2 has. I'd recommend that you download this game Tech101. I've been needing a good challenge since Moto Heroz. Very Happy
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)