Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Your Most Recent Videogame Purchase(s)April 28th 2024, 1:17 pmKokorOtakuWhat Have You Been Playing Lately?April 24th 2024, 3:11 amRyanNerdyGamerNews: Surprise! An Indie World Direct Has Been Announced For Tomorrow April 17th!April 21st 2024, 5:26 pmKokorOtakuHow I’m feeling right now…April 14th 2024, 12:34 amKeAfan7“Doctor wot…?” (The Doctor Who Discussion Thread)April 7th 2024, 3:56 amRyanNerdyGamer
Go down
ToughGamer
ToughGamer

Animé discussion: Is gender bending an overused gimmick in animé series? Empty Animé discussion: Is gender bending an overused gimmick in animé series?

July 1st 2012, 12:36 pm
Crossdressers, transformations, serums, curses, and rebirth are just a few examples of this heavily used trope and there seems to be no shortage of animé that use this trope on at least one support character.

This trope started in the 50's in live action and western slapstick comedy, but wasn't used until the late 70's in animé series, but wasn't very popular at the time. However, since Ranma 1/2 aired in the 90's the gender bending sub-genre has exploded in popularity to the point that it seems to be a very popular plot gimmick.

I feel that this gimmick is overused and is a very sexist trope, since it's almost always used in a male to female change and in most cases the males are idiots that use their looks or transformation to take advantage of females at least once.

If there were more female to male examples of this trope and the abuse of their situation plot was used less frequently then I would feel differently about the genre.

Memorable Yu-Yu-Hakusho Quotes #2

Yusuke Urameshi: [to the Captain] If you even think about stopping me, I'll bite off your head mustache and all!
SDF Captain: I knew you couldn't hide your true character, you've transformed into a demon menace!
Yusuke Urameshi: Look jerk, give me a break, it's called a running joke!
Otaku
Otaku
Super Coinage!
This helpful member has earned 25,000 WiiWareWave Coins!

Animé discussion: Is gender bending an overused gimmick in animé series? Empty Re: Animé discussion: Is gender bending an overused gimmick in animé series?

July 1st 2012, 12:56 pm
I think the gender bending genre is funny and sometimes even kawaii Exclamation

Rena Ryuugu Fanboy
Rena Ryuugu Fanboy

Animé discussion: Is gender bending an overused gimmick in animé series? Empty Re: Animé discussion: Is gender bending an overused gimmick in animé series?

July 1st 2012, 1:40 pm
Gender bending can be funny depending on how it's used in the story. I don't think there are as many gender bending anime as you think there are.

Rena Ryuugu - Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.

Animé discussion: Is gender bending an overused gimmick in animé series? Rena-rena-ryuugu
Grumblevolcano
Grumblevolcano

July 1st 2012, 7:07 pm
Yes, but only because the majority of gender benders are about boys crossdressing as girls.
KeAfan7
KeAfan7
Admin
Super Poster!
This member has made a splash by posting over 10,000 messages and comments in our community!
Mega Coinage!
This kind user has earned over 50,000 Coins! Happy posting!

July 2nd 2012, 9:26 pm
...no comment...

Animé discussion: Is gender bending an overused gimmick in animé series? 19654

Animé discussion: Is gender bending an overused gimmick in animé series? 87457210

Animé discussion: Is gender bending an overused gimmick in animé series? Bleach10

Bleach Thousand Year Blood War is upon us! W00t!
KokorOtaku
KokorOtaku
Super Coinage!
This helpful member has earned 25,000 WiiWareWave Coins!

July 2nd 2012, 9:31 pm
Umm...

Admin
Super Poster!
This member has made a splash by posting over 10,000 messages and comments in our community!
Mega Coinage!

July 2nd 2012, 9:34 pm
LordOtakWiiU wrote:Umm...
My thoughts exactly....I don't even know how to respond to this thread. Embarassed

Animé discussion: Is gender bending an overused gimmick in animé series? 87457210

Animé discussion: Is gender bending an overused gimmick in animé series? Bleach10

Inoue79
Inoue79

July 2nd 2012, 9:40 pm
What a strange topic. Surprised
@Rukiafan I know really!

Fishing Resort - A 1.18 foot Crucian Carp

In Real Life - A 6 pound Black Crappie.

I'm an avid fisherwoman! Cool
KeAfan7
KeAfan7
Admin
Super Poster!
Mega Coinage!

July 2nd 2012, 10:00 pm
It's not exactly a strange topic, but it's a difficult one to respond to without people misunderstanding your viewpoints, in other words it's a sensitive topic to discuss. Thankfully we don't have trolls around here who would turn this thread into a flaming war-zone. Wink

As for myself I have little interest in the genre, besides Ranma 1/2 which was funny seeing poor Ranma changing back and forth at awkward times, but that's just my personal opinion. Wink

Rena Ryuugu Fanboy
Rena Ryuugu Fanboy

July 2nd 2012, 10:40 pm
Ranma 1/2 was funny because it never took its plot very seriously. Laughing

Rena Ryuugu - Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.

Animé discussion: Is gender bending an overused gimmick in animé series? Rena-rena-ryuugu
Anonymous

July 3rd 2012, 12:13 am
I really don't get the point of gender bending to be quite honest.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)