Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
KeAfan7
KeAfan7
Admin
Super Poster!
This member has made a splash by posting over 10,000 messages and comments in our community!
Mega Coinage!
This kind user has earned over 50,000 Coins! Happy posting!
The Kongs are back in a massive tikitacular adventure with enough peanut shooting,and ground pounding to satisfy any ape!

Review: Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii Retail) Donkey_Kong_Country_Returns-s0
(Nintendo Wii)

(C) 2010, Nintendo

Developer: Retro Studios, Nintendo
Publisher: Nintendo

NA Release: November 21, 2010
EU Release: December 3, 2010
AU Release: December 2, 2010
JP Release: December 9, 2010

# of Players: 1-2
Genre: 2.5D Platformer

Gameplay

The gameplay in DKCR is very similar to what was used in the old DKC trilogy so those of us who played the older games will get used to the controls almost immediately,there are a few differences however namely diddy kongs controls are quite different.
First of all diddy kong has a jetpack that allows him to hover and fly for about 3 seconds which allows him to cross areas that are difficult for donkey kong to get past with ease,also diddy kong has a peanut shooter that allows him to kill/stun enemies from a little ways away from the enemies which might sound good,but often leads to your partner having to wait for you to keep up.....

The levels are absolutely massive,and there are over 70 of them,however true fans like myself might be disappointed to hear that the underwater levels which were some of the best stages on the old games are not featured in Returns which is a shame since despite the fact that I hate underwater levels on most platformers,yet it was my favorite part of the original DKC series,and I know I'm not the only one that feels that way.......Anyway enough about this silly reviewers thoughts =).

Review: Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii Retail) Donkey-y-diddy

The animal buddy system has returned,well sort of the only animal buddy in returns is Rambi the rhino who will prove to be a valuable asset as there are many secrets that can only be accessed using his unique abilities!

DKC has always been famous for its incredible amount of secrets and hidden content,and Returns is no exception,as there is artwork,and other goodies to unlock including a hidden world!
You unlock these by collecting puzzle pieces and other collectibles that are usually hidden or are found in precariously dangerous places.

Review: Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii Retail) Donkey_kong_country_returns-1-550x309

Graphics

Breathtaking absolutely breathtaking,the graphics in this game are easily the most detailed graphics ever seen in a sidescrolling 2D platformer,and the artistic detail and effort the games artists went through are just unbelievable,thank you Retro!

Even though the graphics are detailed Retro avoided the mistake that Nintendo made when they created twilght princess as the graphics are realistic and detailed without sacrificing its charm and colorful characters and backgrounds!

Review: Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii Retail) Donkey-kong-country-returns-wii-8

The levels themselves are very unique and have alot of variety,Retro did a great job at making sure every level has a unique asthetic feel to it!

Review: Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii Retail) Donkey_kong_country_returns_review

Soundtrack

This game has many returning music tracks that will bring alot of nostalgic value to this awesome title!
You'll quickly notice that the classic DKC tunes have been updated,fortunately they sound even better then the original tracks!

Returns also features many new tunes that are every bit as good as the classic ones,and fit the mood of the game perfectly!

Review: Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii Retail) Thumb-20110112-2654_0000

Bottom line-Pros- bring one of the best platforming series back and improve its gameplay even further,and enhance its already awesome graphics,and soundtracks to a mind-blowing level!
Cons- The only negative thing I can say is Retro for some reason decided to remove the absolutely spectacular underwater levels......however this game as a whole is nearly perfect and is one of the best games available for the wii,you'd be bananas to miss out on this piece of gaming history!

Score  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven 10/10

10- Perfect This game is nearly perfect, and has little if any flaws, and is a blast to play!

Last edited by Ichigofan on April 24th 2016, 12:27 pm; edited 4 times in total

Review: Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii Retail) 19654

Review: Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii Retail) 87457210

Review: Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii Retail) Bleach10

Bleach Thousand Year Blood War is upon us! W00t!
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

Staroceancrazy
May 23rd 2011, 12:44 pmStaroceancrazy
This is your best review yet rukiafan!

I agree DKCR is my personal favorite game on the wii and I feel it's truly under rated by too many fans of the original games Neutral
Anime_Gurl
Lol at your tikitacular remark lol!

Your review is really good and DKC Returns deserves the perfect score you gave it Smile
captainamerica
May 25th 2011, 11:45 amcaptainamerica
Don't get me wrong Returns is a good game and all,but I think it is nowhere near as good as the snes series Neutral
DigiDestined
May 27th 2011, 12:02 amDigiDestined
Lightning strikes again Surprised

Another great review rukiafan Exclamation

@Staroceancrazy I agree this review is even better than his Super Mario Galaxy 2 review Exclamation

Game score 100/100
Reviewer score ∞/100 awesome review Smile
KingreX32
Awesome. I wouldnt review this game but i would definatly buy it.
Supertimbros
June 25th 2011, 12:07 amSupertimbros
I really want to get this game,but it's never in stock at my Best Buy,Walmart,or EB Games Neutral
Your review is making me envy you Envy
OddyWorld
Who'd have guessed that returns could surpass the greatness of the original series but somehow it did Very Happy
Excellent review rukiafan!
silksofsweden
July 20th 2011, 6:30 amsilksofsweden
super good review. i love the donkey kong country return. its so awesome.keep up the good work
KeAfan7
Thank you kindly silks Wink
Jnes5
Retro studios really outshined themselves with this game, DKCR is one of my favorite platformers for wii !

But I've would have loved it more if the game had classic controler support, since I had a few problems with the controller while playing the game...

Either way, good review Rukiafan ! Very Happy

Last edited by Jnes5 on July 21st 2011, 10:59 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : I just found out that I typed "cassic" instead of "classic")
KeAfan7
Thanks Jnes5 Smile
Tinglemaster
July 21st 2011, 10:18 pmTinglemaster
Sweet review rukiafan Very Happy
silksofsweden
July 22nd 2011, 2:59 amsilksofsweden
btw have you found every dk coin?
KeAfan7
Close I'm still missing one,I know where it is but I can't get to it without dying Neutral
KIBAxHINATA
July 22nd 2011, 12:44 pmKIBAxHINATA
I am really irked that retro removed the underwater and snowy levels,hopefully they'll rectify that if or when they make returns 2 on the wiiu
FuManchu
protoman wrote:I am really irked that retro removed the underwater and snowy levels,hopefully they'll rectify that if or when they make returns 2 on the wiiu
I agree with you somewhat,however this game is still fantastic Very Happy
Love4Gaming
July 24th 2011, 4:36 pmLove4Gaming
DigiDestined wrote:Lightning strikes again Surprised

Another great review rukiafan Exclamation

@Staroceancrazy I agree this review is even better than his Super Mario Galaxy 2 review Exclamation

Game score 100/100
Reviewer score ∞/100 awesome review Smile
I agree with both of you this review is just that good I love you
Clunkermobile
September 21st 2011, 6:48 pmClunkermobile
How did I miss this review Surprised
This review is one of your best Rukiafan king
SheldonTheGenius
September 26th 2011, 12:56 pmSheldonTheGenius
The only complaint I have is the shear number of minecart levels, since I dislike those levels Neutral
Marioman18
November 4th 2011, 10:46 amMarioman18
Wow great job on this review Rukiafan Surprised
Amufungal
November 15th 2011, 3:46 pmAmufungal
This is one of your best reviews I have seen so far Smile
Akatsuki
November 15th 2011, 3:51 pmAkatsuki
I think this was better than the games in the SNES series Very Happy
Anonymous
I love Donkey Kong Country games, but this was one of my least favorite games in the entire series because there were too many gimmicks in the game.
KokorOtaku
I liked this one as well as the last 3 but it was easier
ToughGamer
Fair review.
KeAfan7
Thank you for your positive comments. Wink
@Staff could someone please add some pics and reformat this review?
Megatron2000
July 11th 2012, 2:03 pmMegatron2000
It looks like this article could use a bump. |D
Ms_Kinomoto
July 11th 2012, 3:38 pmMs_Kinomoto
Um....your review looks much more nice Smile
Aussiegamer
April 28th 2013, 2:25 pmAussiegamer
This is an amazing game mates you really should play this game! :-D
RWBY_Red
Returns is a good game, much better than Tropical Freeze imo.
RyanNerdyGamer
June 11th 2016, 2:57 pmRyanNerdyGamer
I agree with you, @Natsume. Tropical Freeze is brutally hard, and without Super Kong to assist me I haven't been able to get past World 1... Sad
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)