Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
KeAfan7
KeAfan7
Admin
Super Poster!
This member has made a splash by posting over 10,000 messages and comments in our community!
Mega Coinage!
This kind user has earned over 50,000 Coins! Happy posting!
The Price of Amiibo's Existence?

Update! Business or Greed: Shovel Knight Co-Op Is Locked Behind An Amiibo Paywall... 630x32

Yesterday at Pax 2015 Nindies @ Night presentation in Seattle Washington the rumoured Shovel Knight Amiibo was officially announced. The figure looks nice enough, but will be limited in quantity. Our staff member DBZMania was quite irked when he provided us with the news tip regarding this announcement as it appears that two player co-op and Challenge Mode, the latter of which was originally supposed to be free DLC is locked through the Shovel Knight Amiibo paywall. There will also be exclusive relics locked through the Amiibo. Even the rest of our staff are quite worried about the future of Amiibo.

Nintendo has, in our opinion done things right by just locking superficial costumes and other non-important features through Amiibo, but Yacht Club Games is locking very important content behind a paywall that is locked by a figure that not everyone who wants and can even afford the Amiibo will be able to find it and unlock the content.

We have feared that Amiibo could be misused and this could be the first time it will actually happen. We will try to contact Yacht Club Games to see if this DLC will also be available through the eShop. In the meantime let us know what you think of this news in our comments below!

Update:

Yacht Club Games had this to say on Twitter regarding our article:

Yacht Club Games wrote:WiiWareWave We'll be detailing more about how these new modes roll out after Plague of Shadows is released. We do appreciate the input!

While it's not much to go on it does seem likely that there's more to this DLC then meets the eye, so we'll just have to wait and see what Yacht Club Games has up their sleeves!

Source: Nintendo Life.

Update! Business or Greed: Shovel Knight Co-Op Is Locked Behind An Amiibo Paywall... 19654

Update! Business or Greed: Shovel Knight Co-Op Is Locked Behind An Amiibo Paywall... 87457210

Update! Business or Greed: Shovel Knight Co-Op Is Locked Behind An Amiibo Paywall... Bleach10

Bleach Thousand Year Blood War is upon us! W00t!
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

ToughGamer
This is the most shady BS that I've ever seen and I've seen a lot of BS in my life. Screw Yacht Club Games I'm not paying $15 for a mode that should be standard with the game. Twisted Evil
KokorOtaku
My thoughts on how Nintendo can expand Amiibo in the right direction: use it as an alternative to $4-$10 DLC (that you can purches separately) on multiple games, that way people who can't find Amiibo can still get the DLC and people who have the Amiibo can use it as a "discount" on DLC once enough games use it
KeAfan7
passioNATE wrote:My thoughts on how Nintendo can expand Amiibo in the right direction: use it as an alternative to $4-$10 DLC (that you can purches separately) on multiple games, that way people who can't find Amiibo can still get the DLC and people who have the Amiibo can use it as a "discount" on DLC once enough games use it
I completely agree. Amiibo are too rare to use for important DLC. Costumes or a singular one of a kind weapon/item is fine, but this is a major feature that most people will never be able to utilize. Neutral
Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)