Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
KeAfan7
KeAfan7
Admin
Super Poster!
This member has made a splash by posting over 10,000 messages and comments in our community!
Mega Coinage!
This kind user has earned over 50,000 Coins! Happy posting!
A psychological horror adventure from a first person perspective.

Review: Master Reboot (Wii U eShop) (PAL Region) Wiiu_119

MASTER REBOOT (Wii U eShop)
(C) Wales Interactive

PAL Review by SKTTR.

You wake up in a dark cel-shaded world, and have to find out who you are and where you are. Information is scarce, and the little you get from cutscenes initially add to the confusion. I wouldn't spoil anything because the story is a particular high point that everyone (except kids) should experience for themselves.

It's a straightforward and memorable experience, with stylish and quite beautiful areas to explore. There are a some simple platforming sections, and original but not too difficult puzzles. Pick up usable items (like an axe or a flashlight) and collectibles (like memory snippets).

The first two areas are like a tutorial. You move around with the analog sticks and use 5 buttons for either jumping, running, ducking, using an item, and interacting with/picking up interesting objects. After that you'll come across a hub where you can select from certain stages you want to dive in. From there on the game becomes a little more open.

All of the areas have a dark secret, and something bad is lurking already, trying to stop you from finding the truth. It's up to you to connect the dots that make up the plot by collecting memory snippets that are hidden in the stages.

Review: Master Reboot (Wii U eShop) (PAL Region) Wiiu_120

On a technical side, the controls and graphics are alright, albeit they are a little rough at times, which adds to the unsettling ambience. The light effects are beautiful and very organic, and the music and sound effects round up a dense atmosphere. The 2D cutscenes look as they come from a cheap flash animation though. They're a huge letdown when compared to the 3D graphics (that make the other 90% of the game). However, this clash of two unique styles is starting to work as you get used to it, just because it's an odd world with unusual stuff happening in the first place.

MASTER REBOOT is a rather simple and beatable game: Small areas, lots of restart points, unlimited lives, (almost) no time limits, and autosave after each area. The puzzles are exciting for adventure fans, the story and atmosphere are great for horror fans, and the platforming and action sequences are simple enough for everyone to get through with a bit of practice and patience.

Wii U specific features: The GamePad mirrors the tv screen at all times. No additional uses apart from off-tv-play. Posting pictures on Miiverse isn't always possible: it's odd that it's deactivated most of the time but still available at seemingly random occasions. Since the game's update on 25th August 2014 the major bug in the final part of the game and other minor flaws have been fixed.

Review: Master Reboot (Wii U eShop) (PAL Region) Wiiu_121

All in all I really like the game as its strengths outweigh the flaws. It makes you think, it makes you wonder, it even makes you jump! In the hands of its target audience this definately grows a fanbase. If you're into great adventure games for Wii U (like The Cave or Stick It To The Man) and are interested to play something similar from a first person perspective and in a much darker tone, then MASTER REBOOT is the game for you.

SKTTRSKORE:

★★★★★★★★☆☆ 8/10

Last edited by Ichigofan on February 11th 2016, 2:19 pm; edited 2 times in total

Review: Master Reboot (Wii U eShop) (PAL Region) 19654

Review: Master Reboot (Wii U eShop) (PAL Region) 87457210

Review: Master Reboot (Wii U eShop) (PAL Region) Bleach10

Bleach Thousand Year Blood War is upon us! W00t!
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

Aqua Cherry Blossom
August 25th 2014, 2:10 pmAqua Cherry Blossom
Nice review lol. Smile
SKTTR
I changed a paragraph and added bits I forgot to mention. The review is updated now, just like the game. Smile
Aqua Cherry Blossom
August 25th 2014, 6:49 pmAqua Cherry Blossom
@SKTTR you live in Germany do you not?
So how did you download this lol? Surprised
SKTTR
I made a second NNID when the ZombiU Demo and a few free apps weren't available on the German Wii U eShop and set the region to UK.
Unfortunately I can't add funds (no credit card, or £ prepay cards) but I can download free stuff and games with download codes.

I received a review code for Master Reboot from this site, but couldn't download it with my main (German) account. "This software isn't available" popped up. Fortunately, with my old UK account, I was able to redeem the code.

It's a shame really that this game isn't available in my region. I wrote my sentiments about this in a letter to the USK (German age rating board).
Laws in my country definately have to change. So I actively confront any law that is not born out of wisdom.

Without Rukiafan I wouldn't have had the chance to experience this game so I'm very grateful. Thankyou Ruki! victory

Clouds cover the German eShop sky every few weeks/months and they bring a taste of those infamous Australian rainclouds.
Master Reboot is actually the 5th European Wii U eShop game that skips Germany. The Zelda-inspired Ittle Dew is confirmed to be next on the list. Sad

Ragnarok
August 26th 2014, 10:57 pmRagnarok
Great review.
KeAfan7
Thanks again for writing another great review on our behalf! I look forward to your Child of Light review as well. Wink
Amufungal
August 28th 2014, 8:56 pmAmufungal
Nice review SKTTR Smile
Trinity33
August 28th 2014, 10:55 pmTrinity33
@SKTTR great review! I have a question for you. How many levels does this game have?
Staroceancrazy
August 29th 2014, 1:48 amStaroceancrazy
Awesome review! Very Happy
SKTTR
@Trinity33: There are 12 main memories in the hub.
Each of them is divided into 2 stages/parts: the first part always being an exploration adventure (with one exception), and the other part being a shorter action/platforming stage or some kind of puzzle.
Plus 3 intro stages and 3 outro stages.
Took me 8-9 hours to find all collectibles and beat the game.

@Rukiafan: Child of Light is on hold. It didn't grab me the way I hoped it would. Yeah, the game is polished and the presentation is beautiful, and there's some originality in the gameplay, but I'm playing on Hard straight away and it's a real grind. Also, I wish I could change the language in-game as it seems the English and especially French rhymes are better than what's offered through the German translation. It's not exactly my type of game and I was off to a slow start, then other Wii U games grabbed my attention: playing SteamWorld Dig and Fire Emblem (GBA) atm. I'll get back to Child of Light and hope to find the redeeming qualities, but it'll take some time.

@Everyone: Thank you very much. Any constructive advice and honest criticism is always appreciated. Smile
Staroceancrazy
August 29th 2014, 11:47 amStaroceancrazy
SKTTR wrote:@Trinity33: There are 12 main memories in the hub.
Each of them is divided into 2 stages/parts: the first part always being an exploration adventure (with one exception), and the other part being a shorter action/platforming stage or some kind of puzzle.
Plus 3 intro stages and 3 outro stages.
Took me 8-9 hours to find all collectibles and beat the game.

@Rukiafan: Child of Light is on hold. It didn't grab me the way I hoped it would. Yeah, the game is polished and the presentation is beautiful, and there's some originality in the gameplay, but I'm playing on Hard straight away and it's a real grind. Also, I wish I could change the language in-game as it seems the English and especially French rhymes are better than what's offered through the German translation.  It's not exactly my type of game and I was off to a slow start, then other Wii U games grabbed my attention: playing SteamWorld Dig and Fire Emblem (GBA) atm. I'll get back to Child of Light and hope to find the redeeming qualities, but it'll take some time.

@Everyone: Thank you very much. Any constructive advice and honest criticism is always appreciated. Smile
Is it alright for me to request a review?
I hope that you'll review Fire Emblem (GBA) soon since I never played the game and we're still waiting for it to release on the Wii U Virtual Console in my region Exclamation
RWBY_Red
August 29th 2014, 12:24 pmRWBY_Red
Not my cup of tea, but nice review anyways. Smile
ToughGamer
September 30th 2018, 11:20 pmToughGamer
Good review.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)