Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
KeAfan7
KeAfan7
Admin
Super Poster!
This member has made a splash by posting over 10,000 messages and comments in our community!
Mega Coinage!
This kind user has earned over 50,000 Coins! Happy posting!
Treasure To Plunder!

photo 168_zpsc7aede24.jpg

The Mysterious Cities of Gold is an adventure/puzzle game that is based on a popular 1980's French and Japanese developed anime series where three kids search for important treasures from a lost kingdom that revered the sun! The anime may have been good, but does the game live up to the standards the anime series set? Well let's find out!

photo 170_zps1eba7465.jpg

Gameplay And Controls:

In The Mysterious Cities of Gold you control three children each with their own abilities to collect treasure and complete each level all while trying to avoid guards who will try to capture your characters. While this might sound complicated and be similar to what was seen in The Trine 2, this game is far easier and doesn't provide much challenge in the earlier levels, but does get harder in the later ones making this game a better choice than The Trine 2 for young players or those who aren't good at puzzle solving. The puzzles themselves are rather easy and are unlikely to confuse most gamers, but sometimes just reaching the puzzles can actually be somewhat challenging! The game also features many lengthy animated cut-scenes from season 2 of the anime which aired in the early 2,000's and really adds to the overall experience of the game!

photo 169_zps6ad95d40.jpg

The controls in the game are intuitive and easy to learn with the Gamepad touch controls being used sparingly to navigate the menues. The game features over 30 levels of gameplay, but most are rather short so you'll likely beat the game in around 10 hours "not including the amount of time you'll be watching the lengthy cut-scenes".

photo 173_zpsfe725dc9.jpg

Graphics And Sounds:

The graphics in this title are colorful and cheery and the cut-scenes are gorgeous, but the in-game graphics are a little bland with basic enemy models and in most cases dreary and boring looking levels "although some of the level layouts are pretty good despite the plain look of the level". The music on the other hand is amazing and recreates the feel of the anime series and the game also features the actual voice actors from season 2 of the anime series which is a nice touch!

photo 171_zps749d818b.jpg

Bottom-Line:

With easy to use controls and an amazing soundtrack The Mysterious Cities of Gold is a great fun to play title and the cut-scenes and voice acting really add to the experience, however some of the stages look drab and boring and most enemy models are too generic which doesn't detract much from the game in of itself, but the puzzles might be too easy for most veteran gamers. Young gamers and novices of the puzzle genre might really enjoy this title as well as fans of the anime series! This game gets a fairly solid recommendation from us!

Score: 7.5/10

Last edited by Ichigofan on February 11th 2016, 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Review: The Mysterious Cities of Gold (Wii U eshop) 19654

Review: The Mysterious Cities of Gold (Wii U eshop) 87457210

Review: The Mysterious Cities of Gold (Wii U eshop) Bleach10

Bleach Thousand Year Blood War is upon us! W00t!
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

Clαππαd
November 29th 2013, 12:08 pmClαππαd
Nice review boss!
I loved the anime when I was young. Smile
Kenshin A-Go-Go
November 29th 2013, 12:24 pmKenshin A-Go-Go
Sounds good, but I won't download at $14.99. Might download if the game has a sale.
Aqua Cherry Blossom
November 29th 2013, 1:18 pmAqua Cherry Blossom
Nice review lol. Smile
NINTENBRO
November 29th 2013, 1:56 pmNINTENBRO
Is this exactly the same as the 3DS version, and do both versions cost $15?
Tsukoko
Good review.
Anonymous
Beautiful review Rukiafan! I love you
Maybe I'll download this game sometime! Smile
ShanaNoShakugan
November 29th 2013, 9:59 pmShanaNoShakugan
Such nice review! Smile
Tsubasa
Nintenbro wrote:Is this exactly the same as the 3DS version, and do both versions cost $15?
Yes, and yes.
Itsame
This looks too generic to me, but it doesn't sound like a bad game. I would not download at full price though.
Amufungal
December 2nd 2013, 11:41 amAmufungal
Nice review Rukiafan Smile
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)