Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SkywardL
SkywardL
Admin
Review: Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (Wii U eShop) BAbqtEwCQAA9GBv

Available now on the Wii U eShop in North America and Europe

Developer / Publisher - WayForward Technologies
Genre - puzzle platformer, retro

Software Size - 487 MB
Full Price - $9.99
# of Players - 1

As a reviewer who previously reviewed Mighty Switch Force on the Nintendo 3DS eShop, you might be wondering why would I double dip on an experience of collecting girly, monster summoning, escapees in an alternate Mega Man universe for the Wii U eShop.  While the Wii U version is an expansion pack, I went on board with Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive Edition because of its current discount price (supporting the Wii U digital sales). I should also inform that I purchased the 3DS version at a discount price as well. Adding up the discount prices on both of these games equals almost the exact full price tag of the Wii U version, essentially didn’t waste any money.  Enough of my investment victory, let’s find out if Hyper Drive Edition is better than the original Mighty Switch Force.

Gameplay

The default control method is the Wii U Gamepad, fortunately, there is the option to use the Wii U Pro Controller or the Classic Controller Pro attached to the Wiimote. Remember to select Display Off from the controller settings by pressing the Home button when not using the Gamepad.

Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive Edition features all 21 levels from the 3DS. After completing all the original levels once, 21 Hyper levels will unlock and they’re the same layout as the previous levels that adds harder switchable block positions. You play a cybernetic peace office named Patricia Wagon. Her objective is to clear each level by capturing all 5 stationary criminals, known as the Hooligan Sisters. Patricia progresses by uses her Siren Helmet to switch blocks (there are 3 types) with the A button or the shoulder button from solid to shadily blending in the background. Use the B button to jump on top of solid blocks and the Y button to shoot at enemies. One more button is useful here than the 3DS version and that is the Lookety- Cam. Hold the X button to shift the camera around Patricia’s position to view the layout of the switching puzzle area more clearly. Unfortunately, The reason why the X button is more useful on the Wii U version is because the 3DS version doesn’t really needed as the camera automatically positions these areas when Patricia is close by.

Don’t expect newer types of blocks or enemies in the Hyper levels. You don’t mind that unless you’re only interest is harder puzzles and more intense command with the Siren Helmet. One mistake from these levels could easily loss a health.

Review: Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (Wii U eShop) BAbjlZBCcAEhXCf

Presentation

I much prefer the revamp graphics from Hyper Drive Edition than the pixelated deigns from the 3DS original. The HD makeover modernizes the look of 8-bit and 16-bit gaming era while still keeping the background’s retro environmental look. The game features both the appealing soundtrack from the 3DS original as well as remixes that could easily come from a Sega Genesis title.

Unfortunately, the Wii U version also introduces newer flaws. The audio quality is not perfect, unjustifiable. From the TV, Patricia’s voice is painfully loud, constantly reminding the obviousness of you touching a checkpoint and the escapees, while distracting you from the brilliant retro-inspiring soundtrack. Hyper Drive Edition doesn’t feature any option settings what so ever, neither does the 3DS version for which I didn’t have any audio issues with.  Patricia’s voice became so obnoxious to the point that I decided to play solely on the Gamepad (Off-TV Play) for the rest of the experience. The audio issue is still present on the Gamepad speakers; however, at least I get to appreciate the soundtrack and the yelling more. Surrendering the HD visuals is not all bad news. The smaller size of the GamePad screen really captivates the hand-drawn graphics without scarifying any sharp details in character designs.

Another issue I encounter is during one of the later Hyper levels. Sometimes entering the level glitches the button configuration, pressing the jump or blaster button will activate the switching mechanic 90% of the time. Exiting and entering the same level does solve this issue.

Conclusion

For those who played the 3DS original on the eShop, Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive Edition for the Wii U eShop is both an improvement and a disappointment. Hyper Drive Edition features double the experience and the world of Patricia Wagon is more colorfully attractive. Unfortunately, the misstep in audio is a huge drawback and the latest version doesn’t offer anything new. If you haven’t yet purchase Mighty Switch Force, the Wii U version is still a superior choice. However, If you’re looking for the perfect puzzle platformer from the selection of eShop launch titles, Trine 2: Director’s Cut is most definitely your choice. If you’re just looking for more Wii U titles that support Off-TV Play, then go for it. If only the GamePad screen supports Stereoscopic 3D.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆7 / 10 eShop points

7 - Good: This game may have a few flaws or may have somewhat shoddy controls, or minor sound/graphics flaws, but the game itself should be fun if you like the genre, and can overlook the potential flaws!

Share this post on:reddit

Comments

KeAfan7
Looks like this is a mixed review, in some ways it's better and in others it's worse. Neutral
KingreX32
smart, dude thats so smart, Why didnt i think of that. Getting Screenshots will be so much easier for me now.
SkywardL
@KingreX32

Thanks. I loved that Wii U owners can create their own screenshots via Miiverse on most games.
FuManchu
Good review.
SkywardL
Announcement from one of the developers via Miiverse that there's going to be an update patch that will remove the flaws that I mention from this review.
DigiDestined
Good news. =)
Talesfanatic
What a great review, but I must ask when a new Wii U eshop game will be reviewed as this is currently the only one. Surprised
KeAfan7
I will be reviewing Puddle for the Wii U eshop soon if I can get a download ticket. Wink
Tsukoko
Excellent review! Too bad Mighty Switch Force 2 doesn't have the HD polish that this game has.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)