Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Your Most Recent Videogame Purchase(s)March 26th 2024, 3:36 pmRyanNerdyGamerWhat was the last game you beat?March 26th 2024, 8:03 amKokorOtakuThe video games alphabetMarch 25th 2024, 1:39 pmRyanNerdyGamerComment On The Avatar of The Person Above YouMarch 25th 2024, 1:35 pmRyanNerdyGamerThe Happy Birthday Superthread!March 25th 2024, 1:33 pmRyanNerdyGamer
NINTENBRO
NINTENBRO
Review: Gunman Clive (3DS eShop) GClogocopy_zps6f1fd8aa

Gunman Clive

Developer: Bertil Hörberg
Publisher: Bertil Hörberg
Price: $1.99 USD/£1.79  
Release Dates: Jan. 3rd, 2013 (USA)
Dec. 20th, 2012 (UK/EU)

Bertil Hörberg has been a dedicated indie developer since mid 2011, and previously developed a game titled "Helium Boy" for iOS & Android platforms. Prior to that, Bertil worked as a gameplay programmer on various games, including the 2009 hit title "Bionic Commando". Bertil Hörberg's most recent shining achievement is "Gunman Clive," a run & gun platformer with a unique western style. Which has already seen substantial success on PC, iOS and Android platforms. Although, the jump over to the 3DS eShop may just be "Gunman Clive's" most successful move yet. The addition of stereoscopic 3D effects, circle pad and button controls definitely make this the definitive version to own, in my opinion.

Review: Gunman Clive (3DS eShop) GC3copy_zps6048185a

"Gunman Clive" is a simple and very enjoyable run & gun platforming affair containing all of the usual bells and whistles. The storyline is as is for most platformers, very bare bones. The plot behind this story being your typical damsel in distress. From the beginning of the game, you'll have access to play as either Clive or Ms. Johnson. With a third unlockable character becoming available after your first completion of the game. Both Clive & Ms. Johnson possess their own different advantage's and disadvantage's to certain aspects of gameplay. Clive can move considerably quicker, while Ms. Johnson can float across screen something like Princess Peach in "Super Mario Bros. 2" (USA). It's easy to notice just how many gameplay mechanics "Gunman Clive" has borrowed from late & great platformers of the past. During your mission to save Ms. Johnson/Clive, you'll encounter disappearing & reappearing platforms, bad guys w/guns, wolfs, rabbits and even pelicans that'll try to set Clive off his course. Not to mention the many other obstacles you'll be facing off against. The most treacherous of which is the boss battles.

Review: Gunman Clive (3DS eShop) GC2copy_zps84c47fd3

The bosses are all pretty generic in form but still supply enough challenge and enjoyment to justify their existence in the game. Twenty short but very sweet stages are all that stands between you and certain victory. Even though "Gunman Clive" is over quicker than the fast-draw of a gun, there are three levels of difficulty on offer here and an unlockable "Duck Mode" as well. Any of which may require anywhere between 30 mins. and an hour or slightly more of your time. It may have little to no color, but "Gunman Clive's" unique flip-book animation visual style is what really sets it apart from other platformers currently available on the 3DS eShop, and it's extremely charming in a very simplistic manner. The stereoscopic 3D effects are surprisingly crisp & clear, rivaling those displayed in "Mutant Mudds".

Review: Gunman Clive (3DS eShop) GC4copy_zps6268bc46

The music in "Gunman Clive" is very upbeat and atmospheric. It's also very appropiate for the old-western setting. The music and sound effects would've probably been "Gunman Clive's" very best asset, if the game didn't already have so much else going for it. Nonetheless, I found the music was very catchy, and I caught myself multiple times humming along to the beat.

The 20 available stages on hand may be slightly on the shorter side, but that doesn't make your time spent with this little gem of a game any less enjoyable. As a budget priced platformer with plenty of high quality production values, you really can't complain about too much here. So if your a fan of short but sweet platformers, pick up your 3DS and don't hesitate to pledge your contribution of a $1.99. As for myself, I award "Gunman Clive" a very deserving...

Review: Gunman Clive (3DS eShop) GC1copy_zps1acd17bb

8.5 out of 10 ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Official Website

Trailer

As is always, you're more than welcome to post your opinion's in the comment section below.

Last edited by Nintenbro on November 3rd 2013, 3:10 am; edited 9 times in total

Comments

KingreX32
January 6th 2013, 5:27 pmKingreX32
check out the Newest Review from Nintenbro
KeAfan7
January 6th 2013, 7:15 pmKeAfan7
Whoa your review is awesome my friend. Wink
NINTENBRO
January 6th 2013, 9:21 pmNINTENBRO
Thank you, Rukiafan! That means a lot coming from you my friend, and I'm so glad you enjoyed the read. This being the very first gaming review I've ever produced, I didn't know how it would be received. I actually just typed everything down as it came across my mind. The background info was supplied to me directly from, Bertil Hörberg, the developer. Who was also generous enough to provide me with a reviewer's redemption code for, "Gunman Clive". Which I believe was a very nice gesture. I just hope he's also pleased with my review, because I provided him with a link to WiiWareWave. If we're lucky he may comment or even interact with our community.

Edit: I have to give credit, where credit is due. KingreX32 deserves recognition for adding the screenshots and for formatting my review. Good job done KingreX32. That's what separates the amateurs like me from the pros like yourself. Review: Gunman Clive (3DS eShop) 631737971
Marth
January 6th 2013, 9:59 pmMarth
Solid review. Sounds like we enjoyed many of the same aspects (especially the stereoscopic effect). I made the same comparison to Princess Peach's floating mechanic when I played as Ms. Johnson as well. Here's hoping Clive sells well on 3DS because he certainly deserves it based on the content and pricing.

If you don't mind the obligatory grammar criticism, I noticed your use of commas when referring to the game name was sometimes off. In the third sentence of the third paragraph, you don't need the commas preceding and following "Gunman Clive". There are a couple sentence fragments as well. It's hard to complain too much though, as your first effort is much better than mine was. I'll be looking forward to your next review, naturally.
Marth
January 6th 2013, 10:26 pmMarth
Oh, the quotation marks are fine. Just as you say, it's standard to bold, italicize, or add quotes to relevant titles depending mostly on a publication's writing style. The commas are what I was referring to. See the way "Gunman Clive" often has , before it and , just before the closing quote.

,"Gunman Clive,"
Marth
January 6th 2013, 10:37 pmMarth
Yeah. It is sometimes possible to use commas that way if the sentence grammatically permits the pause, though. Sorry to derail this with grammar nitpicking.
NINTENBRO
January 6th 2013, 11:11 pmNINTENBRO
Marth, how does it look now my friend. I think I cleaned it up fairly nicely.
KeAfan7
January 7th 2013, 1:30 pmKeAfan7
The artstyle is really interesting in this game it looks like some comic that was written in a news paper during the wild west days. Wink
NINTENBRO
January 7th 2013, 1:43 pmNINTENBRO
Rukiafan, you don't know the half my friend. You really need to see the game in full stereoscopic 3D motion, to be able and truly understand just how unique Gunman Clive's visual style is. When you're able to do so, I would then recommend that you download this game Rukiafan. It'll probably be the best $2 you've spent in the 3DS eShop, so far. I'll contact Bertil Hörberg and ask him politely for another redemption code, since I obviously can't gift you the game on my 3DS. I think that's fair payment for bringing additional awareness to his game, don't you think?
Aqua Cherry Blossom
January 7th 2013, 1:45 pmAqua Cherry Blossom
Edit: Something weird is going on with the PM function right now just so you guys know. (Rukiafan)
NINTENBRO
January 7th 2013, 2:22 pmNINTENBRO
Ummm... I sort of have a feeling that the message above wasn't ment to be posted here. I'm just saying... scratch
Aqua Cherry Blossom
January 7th 2013, 3:28 pmAqua Cherry Blossom
I didn't post that lol. Rolling Eyes
KeAfan7
January 7th 2013, 3:31 pmKeAfan7
My PM merged with her post? scratch I have a feeling this is Samantha's doing somehow since she did threaten to destroy our websites......
NINTENBRO
January 8th 2013, 5:45 pmNINTENBRO
I just have one question, shouldn't this review be located in the "3DS (eShop) Review" section instead of "Nintendo's Latest News"?
KeAfan7
January 8th 2013, 6:41 pmKeAfan7
All reviews start in the news section, so they appear in our portal news and are later moved. Wink

It makes the reviews easier to find for guests. Wink
NINTENBRO
January 8th 2013, 11:16 pmNINTENBRO
Has anyone else other than Marth and myself actually downloaded Gunman Clive yet? It would truly be a shame, if nobody else decided to support this game. Sad
Tech101
January 9th 2013, 5:22 amTech101
Very good review William! I downloaded this game day one just from seeing the trailer. I could tell this was high quality and for only 2$ how can you complain. Great animation and gam play. Reminds me of Mega Man more then anything. It gets quite challenging mid way through and the bosses so far just look wonderful. Best 2$ I've ever spent!
Biorn the Viking
January 9th 2013, 9:51 amBiorn the Viking
You can make one of the most expensive games in the world with highly detailed gameplay mechanics, characters and an overall product thriving with inspiration. However, nothing will come together and shine if the soundtrack isn't up to the same standards. The soundtrack makes up the bare bones of a game regardless of whether it is a high-end triple A product or a simple handheld application. When you don't get that fulfilling and soothing soundtrack, the game feels lackluster. I am super glad to hear Gunman Clive delivers on this note to a point where you started humming to bits of the soundtrack.

The art style is definitely interesting and Bertil has done a magnificent job in blending this with everything else. The option to play with two + one unlockable character, an additional game mode and boss encounters are all elements which will inevitably extend the replay value of the product despite the somewhat disappointing 20 missions available. I'm glad they looked at possible alternatives on extending the playtime of the product. Glad to know gameplay wise everything lives up to standards and even on par with other 3DS gems such as Mutant Mudds.

Great review, Nintenbro!
NINTENBRO
January 9th 2013, 10:05 amNINTENBRO
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your compliments. I'll be attending my first day of work today in a very longtime. Hopefully, the rest of the day will be as good as waking up to reading your comment's. Smile

Tech101, same here my friend, the best $2 I've ever spent on a downloadable game from either the WiiShop or 3DS eShop.
NINTENBRO
January 23rd 2013, 2:52 pmNINTENBRO
I never even knew about the speed badges, before I produced this review for Gunman Clive. Which add tremendously to the replay value, so I may edit my review soon to reflect this new found information.
Tasuki
February 17th 2013, 4:29 pmTasuki
OH wow some how I missed this review. I picked this game up the other night and I have to agree with everyone is saying about this game. Best two dollars I spent in a long time. The graphics and music work well with what this game is about and the game play is great as well. I complete the first play through with Clive and now I am working on Mrs. Johnson.

Great review as well man. Oh and you will be happy to hear that

I read somewhere the the 3DS version is out selling both the iOS and droid version so here's to hoping that Bertil will make more eShop games, heck maybe with the success hes having on the 3DS eShop maybe he will make something for the Wii U eShop as well.
Tech101
February 17th 2013, 5:16 pmTech101
It's outsell ios but not android just yet. It still has a long ways to go there. I believe I heard he wants to make another game this time designed around the 3ds. Something to do with having buttons to start with.
Aqua Cherry Blossom
February 17th 2013, 5:29 pmAqua Cherry Blossom
I like the art style this game posesses.
KeAfan7
February 17th 2013, 6:04 pmKeAfan7
Welcome back tech101. Wink
Tech101
February 17th 2013, 6:33 pmTech101
Rukiafan wrote:Welcome back tech101. Wink

Why thank you! I didn't know anyone missed me. Smile
KeAfan7
February 17th 2013, 6:35 pmKeAfan7
Of course we did! Very Happy
Anonymous
February 17th 2013, 6:38 pmGuest
Tech101 wrote:
Rukiafan wrote:Welcome back tech101. Wink

Why thank you! I didn't know anyone missed me. Smile

Welcome back. Smile
Tech101
February 18th 2013, 6:22 amTech101
Tasuki wrote:OH wow some how I missed this review. I picked this game up the other night and I have to agree with everyone is saying about this game. Best two dollars I spent in a long time. The graphics and music work well with what this game is about and the game play is great as well. I complete the first play through with Clive and now I am working on Mrs. Johnson.

Great review as well man. Oh and you will be happy to hear that

I read somewhere the the 3DS version is out selling both the iOS and droid version so here's to hoping that Bertil will make more eShop games, heck maybe with the success hes having on the 3DS eShop maybe he will make something for the Wii U eShop as well.

Never mind you were right. It has outsold android as well. That's saying a lot! Maybe the cost of games will come down a bit because of this. Who knows. At the very least some more frequency of sales.
NINTENBRO
February 18th 2013, 12:35 pmNINTENBRO
^ The 3DS will meet the iPhone and the Android tablet in townsquare at high-noon, so don't be late! Unless they need their hand held. Lol! Handheld... Very Happy
KingreX32
February 18th 2013, 12:57 pmKingreX32
I see what you did there
NINTENBRO
February 18th 2013, 9:17 pmNINTENBRO
KingreX32 wrote:I see what you did there

Lol! Very Happy
Megatron2000
February 18th 2013, 11:18 pmMegatron2000
You have done a wonderful job on this review Nintenbro you should be proud of this accomplishment. |D
NINTENBRO
February 19th 2013, 12:18 pmNINTENBRO
Thank you, Megatron2000! I really wasn't expecting to receive such nice compliments for my very first gaming review. Hopefully, I'll produce another one soon. The only thing is I'm working now, so I don't have nearly as much freetime anymore.
KingreX32
February 19th 2013, 1:45 pmKingreX32
this was an awesome review.
NINTENBRO
February 23rd 2013, 2:18 pmNINTENBRO
Well guys, a Gunman Clive review just moseyed into town at IGN. I read through it, and well, see if you don't notice any similarities to my review.

Gunman Clive IGN Review
NINTENBRO
November 3rd 2013, 2:48 amNINTENBRO
Just made a very small change to my review. I also just noticed how you added a link to the official website, and a gameplay trailer KingreX32. Thanks! Very Happy
Clαππαd
November 3rd 2013, 1:27 pmClαππαd
Very nice, your review is so professional! Smile
NINTENBRO
November 7th 2013, 1:44 pmNINTENBRO
^ Thank you very much! I'm glad you think so. Very Happy
DigiDestined
November 7th 2013, 1:48 pmDigiDestined
What will you review next?
LordHoppingRage
November 27th 2013, 12:38 pmLordHoppingRage
You should write more reviews and be revered as the fine champion of the community you are!
WilliamFrankLepleyIII
March 29th 2016, 6:30 amWilliamFrankLepleyIII
LordHoppingRage wrote:You should write more reviews and be revered as the fine champion of the community you are!

I really wish I could one day return to writing gaming reviews for WiiWareWave, @LordHoppingRage.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)