Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
KeAfan7
KeAfan7
Admin
Super Poster!
This member has made a splash by posting over 10,000 messages and comments in our community!
Mega Coinage!
This kind user has earned over 50,000 Coins! Happy posting!
A Fight For The Future!

Review: Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii Retail) XenobladeChroniclesBoxart
Xenoblade Chronicles
(Nintendo Wii)

(C) 2010, Nintendo

Developer: Monolith Soft
Publisher: Nintendo

US release: April 6, 2012
JP release: June 10, 2010
EU release: August 19, 2011
AU release: September 1, 2011

Players: 1
Genre: RPG

Review: Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii Retail) XBCS1

Story

The story of Xenoblade takes place on two warring worlds named Bionis and Mechonis and depicts a clash between Homs "Humans" and Mechon "Machines" there are many twists and turns along the way and the story starts you in the middle of a battlefield with a good deal of cutscenes and action to keep you entertained, however after the prologue the story slows down for awhile before picking back up, but make no mistake the you'll likely never find the story to be boring.

The story revolves around a young scientist Shulk and his friends Reyn, Dunban, and Fiora and a sword known as the Monado which has the power to destroy mechon. You'll soon realize that the Monado will play a huge role in Xenoblade's story. There are so many plot twists and surprises during the story that it never feels stale!

Review: Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii Retail) XBCS2

Gameplay

The gameplay in Xenoblade Chronicles feels like a mixture between traditional JRPG gameplay and MMORPG gameplay with many "quests" and the unique appearance of most weapons and armors your characters can equip!

The battle system in Xenoblade Chronicles feels like a simplified Final Fantasy XII battle system as your characters auto attack and you simply control the character movement and which art to use and when, but there are quite a few strategies to use as some arts are always critical from a certain position such as attacking a monster from behind or toppling or dazing an opponent.

A monster's level is very important "even more than stats" so be careful when dealing with monsters who are stronger than your party. If a monster is more than 4 levels above yours "denoted by a red tag where enemy info is shown" you'll most likely die.

The quests in this game are similar to those in popular MMORPG's and are mainly fetch, collect, or defeat specific monster quests, however there are some that involve defeating special bosses or exploring areas that are locked until you start certain quests. The amount of quests is staggering 480 or so to be precise and can take over 100 hours to complete all of them!

There are also unique monsters that appear during certain times of the day or during specific weather that are far stronger than the normal monsters in a given area, but always drop a golden treasure chest and give you an affinity coin when defeated so killing these monsters can be worth the effort!

The skill tree is another unique feature that allows your party to gain stat boosts and other beneficial effects during battle by using affinity coins to link party skills, which will be very important later in the game.

Review: Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii Retail) XBCS3

Graphics and Sound

The graphics in Xenoblade Chronicles are very impressive as small details such as wind blowing grass and trees around and beautiful lighting effects that change as the time of the day changes, but what is so amazing is how massive the games world is and the level of detail Monolithsoft put into each and every area!

The character models are fairly decent though they look like they belong in a good looking PS2 game, they're still detailed and certainly don't affect my opinion about this game's graphics.

The soundtrack in Xenoblade Chronicles is perfect in every way and adds so much to the game. I was hard pressed to find any music tracks that I didn't like in Xenoblade Chronicles, but my favorite would be the awesome boss theme!

The sound effects in the game are a nice touch as you can hear wind, thunder, waterfalls as well as other natural sounds while traveling around the fields and towns.

Bottom Line

With an amazing story, fantastic gameplay, and nearly perfect visuals and soundtrack Xenoblade Chronicles pushes the Wii hardware to its limit and is one game hardcore Wii owners shouldn't pass up!

Score

★★★★★★★★★★ 10/10

10- Perfect This game is nearly perfect, and has little if any flaws, and is a blast to play!

This review can also be read here

Last edited by Ichigofan on November 8th 2015, 11:29 pm; edited 4 times in total

Review: Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii Retail) 19654

Review: Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii Retail) 87457210

Review: Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii Retail) Bleach10

Bleach Thousand Year Blood War is upon us! W00t!
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

KeAfan7
June 18th 2012, 12:33 pmKeAfan7
Can somebody please reformat this review to our new review format?
Anonymous
June 18th 2012, 12:37 pmMiracleB
Completely agree. Xenoblade is my favourite game ever by absolutely miles, everything about it was absolutely epic! Very Happy
KeAfan7
June 18th 2012, 12:57 pmKeAfan7
It's one of my favorite RPG's this generation. Wink
Jnes5
June 18th 2012, 12:57 pmJnes5
Your review was great, nice job ! I do certainly want to play this game as well, but seeing how it got a very limited release in the US... yeah... Crying or Very sad
KeAfan7
June 18th 2012, 1:01 pmKeAfan7
You can still find used copies for $39.99 easily at Gamestop and I've even seen a few new copies of Xenoblade at my local Walmart so you might still have a chance Jnes5. Wink
Jnes5
Brian wrote:You can still find used copies for $39.99 easily at Gamestop and I've even seen a few new copies of Xenoblade at my local Walmart so you might still have a chance Jnes5. Wink

I guess so, I will try to find it here in my country then, seeing as you've said that it's not a limited release anymore.

In fact, I've read that the Blockbuster shops in my country actually have them ! so I'll see if I have the money for it ! but so far, it's unlikely...

And also, I was supposed to review this as well ! but because of this situation of mine... yeah, I'm very sorry for that dissapointment... Sad
KeAfan7
June 18th 2012, 1:09 pmKeAfan7
No problem, unfortunately it looks like I may face the same situation with The Last Story myself. Neutral
Staroceancrazy
June 18th 2012, 1:11 pmStaroceancrazy
Awesome review Brian! Very Happy
NINTENBRO
June 18th 2012, 1:20 pmNINTENBRO
I'd say it should've been awarded a 9/10 at the most. It's a very good game, but I don't believe it's deserving of a perfect score.
Staroceancrazy
June 18th 2012, 1:22 pmStaroceancrazy
@WiiAboutU have you finished the game yet? Xenoblade is much better once you fall down to the fallen arm Very Happy
Ms_Kinomoto
June 18th 2012, 1:39 pmMs_Kinomoto
Um....good review again Brian Smile
Aussiegamer
June 18th 2012, 2:04 pmAussiegamer
Wonderful review mate :-D
KingreX32
June 18th 2012, 3:38 pmKingreX32
Great Review dude.
Aqua Cherry Blossom
June 18th 2012, 5:44 pmAqua Cherry Blossom
This is one of your best reviews yet Brian. Smile
KeAfan7
June 18th 2012, 6:06 pmKeAfan7
Eureka wrote:This is one of your best reviews yet Brian. Smile
Why thank you! Wink
Megatron2000
June 19th 2012, 12:00 amMegatron2000
I agree this is a great game, but it doesn't compare to legends such as Final Fantasy VII or Chrono Trigger anyways good review Brian |D
Grumblevolcano
June 19th 2012, 12:00 pmGrumblevolcano
Xenoblade Chronicles is a truly epic adventure that deserves this perfect score! Very Happy
Amufungal
June 21st 2012, 3:40 pmAmufungal
Nice review once again Smile
Objection Blaster
June 21st 2012, 6:46 pmObjection Blaster
@Brian this is one of your better reviews nice! Cool
Anonymous
Xenoblade is so fun that I just can't stop playing. Smile
Punnyguy
June 22nd 2012, 5:30 pmPunnyguy
This is one review no WiiWareWave member should miss. Wink
Aqua Cherry Blossom
June 22nd 2012, 9:43 pmAqua Cherry Blossom
Punnyguy wrote:This is one review no WiiWareWave member should miss. Wink
So true.
Tinglemaster
June 22nd 2012, 11:28 pmTinglemaster
Impressive review Rukiafan!
PhoenixSage
June 23rd 2012, 3:25 pmPhoenixSage
It's amazing that this epic role playing game is only a B budget game. Very Happy
Objection Blaster
June 23rd 2012, 8:40 pmObjection Blaster
This game is fun to play even during a new game+ run! Cool
Trinity33
June 24th 2012, 2:51 pmTrinity33
This deserves a 9/10, but not a perfect score even so your review is very good. =)
Akatsuki
June 24th 2012, 8:57 pmAkatsuki
I disagree the perfect score is well deserved! ♪
Nice review Rukiafan!
Andy
Nice one.
FM_Alchemist
June 28th 2012, 11:13 amFM_Alchemist
If this game had a better pacing of the story instead of fluctuating between exciting and boring throughout the game this would've been perfect, but this game is still an 8/10 in my opinion.
Excellent review Rukiafan.
ToughGamer
June 30th 2012, 11:24 pmToughGamer
Damn I should have pre ordered this game, because I can't find a copy of Xenoblade anywhere.
Rena Ryuugu Fanboy
June 30th 2012, 11:59 pmRena Ryuugu Fanboy
Sweet review!
Clαππαd
July 11th 2012, 10:14 pmClαππαd
The score is a bit high, but your review is detailed and amazing!
ZezHylia
October 9th 2012, 7:24 pmZezHylia
This review is so detailed Surprised you really outdid yourself with this review @Rukiafan! Very Happy
NINTENBRO
October 9th 2012, 7:49 pmNINTENBRO
OK, Rukiafan! You can put that image of Shulk and the Monado into my signature now. Very Happy
KeAfan7
October 9th 2012, 9:24 pmKeAfan7
Do you like your new avatar and signature? Wink
ShanaNoShakugan
October 15th 2013, 1:23 pmShanaNoShakugan
This game deserve perfect score very fun game and review is good. Smile
Tsukoko
November 29th 2013, 3:41 pmTsukoko
Nintenbro wrote:I'd say it should've been awarded a 9/10 at the most. It's a very good game, but I don't believe it's deserving of a perfect score.
Why not, the game is amazing in every aspect....?
NINTENBRO
November 30th 2013, 12:46 pmNINTENBRO
^ I don't know. The battle system is original and interesting, but the AI is as dumb as bricks. The only time your party cooperates in unison is while you're controlling them during a chain attack. Otherwise, there's a one in a hundred chance that your party will actually follow your lead in battle.
Mario fan of the 80s
November 30th 2013, 1:19 pmMario fan of the 80s
Xenoblade is an amazing rpg! victory
Golden Freiza
August 10th 2014, 1:14 pmGolden Freiza
Booyaa! Awesome review! This was one of the best Japanese RPG's that I have played in the past few years! Super Saiyen
KeAfan7
August 11th 2014, 11:02 amKeAfan7
Wow! I'm flattered that this review is still receiving new comments! king
Clαππαd
August 11th 2014, 2:47 pmClαππαd
Rukiafan wrote:Wow! I'm flattered that this review is still receiving new comments! king
It isn't surprising since the review is amazing and the game is one of the most highly praised Wii titles ever released. Smile
Ragnarok
August 11th 2014, 2:59 pmRagnarok
Awesome review! Xenoblade Chronicles is the best RPG that I've ever played!
Objection Blaster
August 11th 2014, 5:27 pmObjection Blaster
Rukiafan wrote:Wow! I'm flattered that this review is still receiving new comments! king
You deserve praise for such a well written review.
KIBAxHINATA
July 14th 2015, 11:32 amKIBAxHINATA
Great review! Man that was a good read and is easily one of your best reviews to date @Rukiafan! That said I agree that Xenoblade Chronicles was one of the best rpg's of the seventh console generation! Xenoblade Chronicles X can't come soon enough.
KeAfan7
February 8th 2018, 6:26 pmKeAfan7
@Objection Blaster D'awww thanks dude! Sorry for the late reply you guys are awesome and I really appreciate all of your feedback! Wink
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)