Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Jnes5
Jnes5
DISCLAIMER: The opinion expressed in this article does not reflect the entire opinion of the website, only the writer.

A lot of people know that the Super Mario Galaxy games are the Wii's most favorite games for the console, mainly because of its gameplay and overall presentation of these games, however for me personally one of my favorite things about these games are the soundtrack ! these soundtracks are amongst one of my favorites of videogame music soundtracks throughout these generations, and some of you know who won in that category when compared to these soundtracks, but in order to be fair and pretty much giving credit to these two, I'm going to count down the top 10 of my personal favorite songs from these games !

10.- Slipsand Galaxy (Super Mario Galaxy 2)
Top 10 Songs from the Super Mario Galaxy games SSG1
This song really does sets the tone of this level where everything is on a dessert full of unexpected discoveries, it feels like you're in and great journey where you are experiencing giant undiscovered territories and trouble along the way, the reason why this song is really good is because it sounds so adventurous and epic as well, and it’s my pick as number 10.

9.- Bunny Chasing (Super Mario Galaxy)
Top 10 Songs from the Super Mario Galaxy games 915692_20071113_embed001
This song is just so catchy and charming, and for some odd reason, it does fit really well on the bunny chasing moments in this game ! it sounds childish, but it is appropriate for this to sound like it because it's so cheery and cute and also maybe a little energetic, some people might not like this song though, since they might feel that this song sound like its taunting them since some bunny chasing moments are sometimes frustrating, but for me that's what sets the pacing of these moments and that's why its number 9.

8.- Starship Mario 1 (Super Mario Galaxy 2)
Top 10 Songs from the Super Mario Galaxy games 640px-SMG2_SM_W1
There are 3 versions of this song (4 if you count the one where you ride yoshi as well), but this is my favorite version of them all, because the song sounds like an act of a theater play where it's the beginning of spring and you are walking while experiencing how spring time is starting to begin, and the environment in starship mario is kind of like that, since everything has green grass, a puddle in the bottom of the ship, and tree trunk bases that are used as tables and chairs, while this may sound lame to some people, it doesn't change that this song does do a good job at this kind of setting, while the other versions kind of change that whole kind of setting, that's why this version is number 8.

7.- Puzzle Plank Galaxy (Super Mario Galaxy 2)
Top 10 Songs from the Super Mario Galaxy games 08
... Ok, how can I explain this one honestly ? it has this kind of country music behind it while also keeping the tone of being in space, it’s really catchy and really good to the point that you might even dance to it ! however I feel that this song doesn't fit in the level, because it might be too good for it, but that doesn't mean that this song doesn't sound so great ! so that's why this is number 7.

6.- Good Egg Galaxy (Super Mario Galaxy)
Top 10 Songs from the Super Mario Galaxy games Super-mario-galaxy-4
Ahh yes, who couldn't forget the classic that started it all ? everyone who played this game and heard this song when they've entered this galaxy knows what I'm talking about, but for those of you who didn't let me explain, the orchestral score of this song is what impacted a lot of people to be interested in the game, since back then, this song was really great and it was like an introduction to the whole soundtrack of the game and not only did it do a great job at it, but it was one of these songs that, to some people, is what made a landmark to this game and that's why it is number 6.

5.- Gusty Garden Galaxy (Super Mario Galaxy)
Top 10 Songs from the Super Mario Galaxy games Neue-Bilder-Super-Mario-Galaxy-600x329-76e5f76f2a72afd6
Well allright ! if you thought that Good Egg Galaxy's song made a landmark on this game, then this song is what sealed the deal ! the thing about this orchestral score is that it's more beautiful, more memorable, and overall pretty amazing ! when I first heard about this song, I was pretty amazed on how good this song was, both as is quality and how it was composed, and it pretty much made Gusty Garden Galaxy a way more enjoyable experience ! and this is why it's number 5.

4.- Throwback Galaxy (Super Mario Galaxy 2)
Top 10 Songs from the Super Mario Galaxy games Galaxybig_3650
My... goodness, this was awesome ! Throwback Galaxy is supposed to be a modern remake of Whomp's Fortress from Super Mario 64, and since it's going to be included in this game of course it's obviously going to be remade, from the graphics to even some of the level design ! and, of course, the song as well ! and wow... this was great ! it has this jazz vibe behind it and it's really catchy ! it truly is one of those greatest song remakes that I've ever heard, and that's why it's number 4.

3.- Final Bowser Battle (Super Mario Galaxy 2)
Top 10 Songs from the Super Mario Galaxy games 1429655-bigbowser_super
Wow... just wow... when you think about a great epic song to fit in a final boss battle, this might be on your mind ! the orchestra is impacting, the choir was a nice touch and it overall surpassed the tone of the final boss fight ! I won't spoil anything on what happens in the final boss fight for those who haven't experienced it, but I will tell you this, this song sets it extremely well ! although this could've been higher if the choir wasn't too over the top, but as it is its number 3.

2.- Purple Coins (Super Mario Galaxy)
Top 10 Songs from the Super Mario Galaxy games Super-mario-galaxy-purple-coins
While I did say at one point that the concept of the Prankster Comets that was present in the first Super Mario Galaxy game was annoying, there was one reason why I didn't hate it completely... it was because of this song ! one of the Prankster Comets that where colored purple was the Purple Coins challenge, and this song was the one that stood out most of the time ! it has a great pace and a beautiful score, it was easily more amazing than Gusty Garden Galaxy in my honest opinion, and this is why it's number 2.

So we've finally reached to number 1 ! so let's re-cap very quickly: we had orchestral scores, jazz vibes, space-country mix-ups and a better version of 3 songs, what could possibly top all of this ? well you're about to find out !

And my number 1 best song from the Super Mario Galaxy games is...

1.- Bowser's Galaxy Generator (Super Mario Galaxy 2)
Top 10 Songs from the Super Mario Galaxy games Towerplanet-bowser-1-
Beautiful... just beautiful... this song is what made me love this game ! for a song that should be a final level and building up for the final battle, it does an amazing job that made me so overwhelmed that I couldn't do nothing but prepare myself for what I am going to confront ! this orchestral score was so beautiful, so amazingly performed, that it felt like it was telling a story through its score ! a story of building up for what's ahead, you being alone but know that a lot of people are cheering for you saying that you can do it, you're passing all of these obstacles with might and courage, just so to do what is good or everyone !... ok, I maybe over exaggerated too much, so yeah, this is why Bowser's Galaxy Generator from Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the best song from the Super Mario Galaxy games !

So, what do you think ? did you liked this list ? did I missed a few hidden gems ? let me know in the comments section !

Last edited by Jnes5 on February 17th 2012, 4:00 am; edited 2 times in total

Also on PSN ! PSN: jnesDX
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

Jnes5
Finally, it's done ! let me know if you guys want me to add pics to this as well !
KeAfan7
February 16th 2012, 8:15 pmKeAfan7
Great article Jnes5. Wink
Pics always make articles look better. Wink
Objection Blaster
February 17th 2012, 2:49 amObjection Blaster
Bowsers Galaxy Generator is one of my favorite Mario music tracks period.
ShanaNoShakugan
February 17th 2012, 3:49 amShanaNoShakugan
I like Final Bowser Battle. Smile
Aqua Cherry Blossom
February 18th 2012, 2:54 pmAqua Cherry Blossom
I like most of the songs in the SMG series. Smile
Marth
February 19th 2012, 11:15 pmMarth
I'm gonna be honest, I didn't really care for the soundtracks in these games and can barely remember themes outside of the hub world themes. Thanks for making this list though, perhaps I can give these tracks a second chance.
ShounenMania
April 28th 2012, 12:01 pmShounenMania
I always enjoy reading your articles man! Top 10 Songs from the Super Mario Galaxy games 631737971
Anonymous
What a beautiful article Jnes5! I love you
Anonymous
July 13th 2012, 4:27 pmhj
Purple comet BY FAR! But I liked the galaxy generator and its EPIC final boss theme.
Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)